[RESPONDED] Another FedEx Rant - destroying customer relationships before they begin

I’m having this Customs ‘Clearance Delay’ for my order shipped to Canada. What amazes me is in this day of age, why do customers still receive this problem? I don’t fault FedEx and instead, we need to fault FrameWork for not having their paperwork in order. Apart from any ‘random’ custom inspection, there should be no excuse for delays on paperwork inconsistencies. This is the key reason why the likes of HP, Dell, Apple, etc. maintain their customer relations, especially around business dealings as delays can make or break customer satisfaction. A delay in custom work should not be held up longer than it takes to send the item. But what we see is many customers today watching their order sit for weeks. Very unacceptable!

According to the image attached the time from shipping to delivery is under a week. That’s not good enough? I understand FedEx (or any shipper) woes, but the expectations often seem to be out of touch with reality.

I have a 16" on order. Of course I would like to receive it as soon as possible, but it will get here when it gets here, and I will enjoy it then. If I need something urgently I’ll visit a brick and mortar store.

1 Like

likely not FW themselves just the 3pl (third party logistics)

1 Like

@ [lbkNhubert]

Actually shipping delivery has gone “Pending” so there is no expected delivery date. Judging in the past customers that have fallen into this delay, they’ve waiting weeks for things to clear up.

I’m at the stage of rejecting delivery if it does not arrive by Monday Nov 6th as my father (who would be bringing the laptop to me) is flying out of Canada that next day. I don’t have the luxury of this “It will come when it comes”. But one would expect a preorder in April 2nd (for Batch 2 to ship in 3 quarter) would be well within the shipping time frame. We’re end of October of Q4 so… to think of a refund is a huge headache. Anyone ever process a refund request from their Visa card?

@ [Josh_Cook]

Custom delays for paper work inconsistencies? Look at the past customers in this community of the issues they’ve had with “Clearance Delayed - Import”, they said missing paperwork. Random pull for inspection? That does not take many days to put the shipment on hold to be released. FW needs to man up and clarify why they have these problems. The logistics is not the problem.

Good luck. I hope that it arrives in time for you. The was a new board, so delays in the product being finalized are unfortunate, but unsurprising. You took a chance, hopefully it works out for you, but it might not. I hope to get the 16" before the end of the year, but I won’t be shocked if issues crop up that result in its release to production taking longer than estimated. Have a good day.

1 Like

You’re barking up the wrong tree. Fedex has been known to screw things up and have random delays on their part. There has been an instance where a shipment was delayed because Fedex incorrectly thought additional paperwork was needed when that wasn’t the case.

2 Likes

Thanks for wishing me good luck. I’m also keen on ordering the 16" laptop and since they aim to be Q1 delivery, I think it would be safe to say by Q4 they would open the ordering book for New Zealand (where I live). Meanwhile i’ll need a backup plan for my FW 13". It’s addressed to my friend’s place so he could ship it to me but I know air sending is very expensive like $150+. It would also suck to see it sit there for a whole year unsued.

Alternatively, FW could redirect the shipping to NZ but not likely or a possibility.

You are out of luck there too, they are now into Q2 delivery.

They can do that by having stock in each country, so you don’t see the shipping and clearance delays. Every so often there will be a shortage of something while they await the next shipment if things are selling faster than expected.

As a former cargo pilot for a company that fed into both FedEx and UPS systems, I can speak to this a bit. I’ll agree with others that this was very likely a delay attached to the customs process, not something in FedEx’s control, let alone in FW’s control. The FedEx hub in Memphis (and Indy, Anchorage, etc) is a pretty amazing place, considering the volume of cargo, number of planes, and ridiculous number of cargo tugs that go through there for each sort round.

And, to the part that I think most people aren’t thinking of but really makes a difference, is how the cargo is handled. The FedEx pallets we took onboard were unitized neatly, well tagged, and we got a neat printout with each of the 3 nightly truck arrivals to the plane. UPS… not so much. Don’t even get me started on what I’ve seen at DHL and especially USPS facilities.

So, bottom line, yes package delays are annoying, and for the small number of packages that get misdirected, mishandled, damaged, etc yes that definitely sucks. But after seeing the worldwide cargo behemoth from the inside, it really is a miracle of modern technology and jet fuel… Well, we could definitely do a lot worse than FedEx.

4 Likes

No. This happens every weekend. There is no Customs processing on the weekend. If a shipment arrives after the end of the business day on Friday, it will sit there over the weekend with the same “clearance delay” notice.

This is not the fault of Framework. This is not even the fault of FedEx, who seem to be doing rather well lately based on the reactions in the AMD Batch 1, 2 and 3 threads. This is the fault of Customs, who do not work on the weekends. That’s that, and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

Please point out where this has happened with the AMD Batch 1, 2 or 3 threads. This has not happened recently.

This shipment will get moving sometime on Monday.

5 Likes

If you noticed the tracking showed it went into “Clearance delay - Import” on Thursday. Then it left to Memphis and had a re-entry on Friday with the same “Clearance delay - Import Goods are subject to regulatory review.” Of course not expecting much to happen over the weekend but they did have all Friday to sort this out.

As for AMD Batch 1/2/3, the delays have just started as shipping was only recent. But in the past there have been plenty of customers with the same delay ie Batch 1 Intel last year:

So what is the root cause of these delay? Incompetent Customs workers?

I never said they were incompetent, only that they don’t work weekends.

The computer had to go through multiple steps. On the import from Taiwan to the US, it went through the clearance delay (that’s the delay you saw on Thursday) then it traveled through the US on Friday, and arrived at the US-Canada border. At this point the timestamps make it seem like it was not able to be processed in time on Friday to cross that border before the weekend, and will now be stuck until monday, when customs will once again be able to clear it. The fact that is passed customs from Taiwan to the US shows that Framework made no errors on the paperwork, and that Fedex and Frameworks 3rd party logistics teams are not at fault either. Shipping is a massive beast, and everyone involved with that process is trying their hardest to get your package to you as soon as they can.

3 Likes

also export clearance from Taiwan which you dont see

If it’s no fault by FrameWork, or FedEx or the 3rd party logistics, then as I mentioned before “Incompetent Customs Workers”.

Now i’m hoping they fix this problem.

If not working on the weekend is all it takes to be “incompetent”, then I guess I’m an incompetent worker too. Please stop taking out your frustrations on this user forum and have a little more patience.

6 Likes

@Azure:

I’m sharing my buying experience to others which I feel is warranted. Considering these delays are nothing new, it’s shocking in this day of age that customers still encounter the same problems. (and if you look in the past posts, they vary from missing paperwork to FedEx forgetting to move the parcel) So let me ask again, why do these delays persist? What I find shocking is I get much better service taking my car to my mechanic, at least he tells me what the problem is and how to prevent it.

This is just a pointless rant now. It’s been explained to you multiple times by multiple users what’s going on - you refuse to accept any explanation and want it fixed right now. No one can at the moment.

Take a break, calm down. Your shipment will get moving shortly.

Closing.

8 Likes