[RESPONDED] Camera not usable with latest Ubuntu 22.04 update

The frame work webcam, which wasn t working great at all on my Ubuntu linux, is now completely unusable since last Ubuntu update.
I have bought a Log StreamCam which performs much better before and after the update.

But the FW cam is performing worse and worse, starting from a bad starting point.
Previousely I had to set it in 640X480 for it not to lag.
Now It is TOTALLY DARK, if I set “back light compensation”
I get this WITH LIGHT IN THE ROOM :wink:

Noo back light comp :

GUVCVIEW
Moving to give you an idea how bad this is with a room full lighted !

Previous topic , I "solved " by switching to 640X480

2 Likes

From the linked thread, the fix is to use YU12 (Emulated), not to use a lower resolution.

1 Like

I had the same problem at one point, my camera would not use more than 480p (sad for an 720p cam) in gnome-cheese, I had to wait for an lib-gstreamer update. Check your apt packages, perhaps you could get that sweet, sweet update that could resovle anything.

P.S.: Is it the latest OBS build and how did you installed it? I know from experience that OBS with flatpak is very bad on some Kernels and since it needs permissions from the OS, resulting in poor performance in both audio and video.

1 Like

Happy to help.

From another OBS thread where the customer had similar issues.

OEM kernel (per the Ubuntu guide).

sudo snap install obs-studio

Added my v4l2 source. Noted that it defaulted to YU12 which was like 5 FPS or something awful.

Controls were not immediately presented until I switched to YU12 (Emulated) (Test both entries as there may be two). Closed the properties box, reopened the proprieties box.

At the bottom of the image in the video preview, grabbed the little line that appears at the bottom of the image of me, and push up using my mouse to bring forward all of the v4l2 source settings.

Now for guvcview, it will differ here and the OSB settings will have different options.

Going to bold the parts I am not seeing in your post or the images.

For guvcview, Video controls tab, these are the recommended settings:

MJGP Motion Jpeg
60FPS
1920x1080

YU12 (Emulated) will give you super smooth video, you can even do 60 FPS.

OBS

1 Like

Hi there,
Now using OBS in a snap and it looks much better. There is still a 1 second lag betwen me moving and the picture on the screen in OBS. In cheese it is better
Anyhow I have moved to an external logitech streamcam for any serious work.

obs-studio 27.2.1 1287 latest/edge snapcrafters -

2 Likes

Hello @Iann_C ,

Good to know you camera is performing better, on the 1 second lag, can we try and see if it’s has something to do with usage spike, or is cpu usage running normal?

2 Likes

Nothing special on the CPU side of things… again it works great with a logitech webcam with same setup on stable kernel 5.15. (It says thinkpad in command line but this is my FW didn tchanged the name :))

(it says logi but it s the framework cam here too)

Anyhow I am giving up on this integrated camera; hope you can fixe it.
It would be nice to have a working camera in OBS linux one day !

1 Like

@Iann_C Understood, glad you’ve found a solution that is working for you. Should you wish to revisit it, please check out the details below.

(Posting this for others reading this, I acknowledge that the op has moved on and is using their external camera instead. But I want to be crystal clear, with the correct settings, it works just fine unless there is a bad setting or a camera issue in a one off instance.)

Anyone else who experiences this in the future - please compare your settings to mine one more time. :slight_smile:

Also which may be contributing, with Logitech cams attached, we can see repeated entries in OBS, if you see multiple, test all name Laptop camera and also try again with the Logitech unplugged.

I recommend matching your settings to those mentioned in my above link to the letter - this means exactly.

Why? If you can match my settings exactly and still see issues, then we may have bad camera. But as of the last image, I am seeing non-recommended settings with BGR3.

2 Likes

To avoid repost, it is still not working on default ubuntu 22.04 up to date 5.15 kernel :

1 Like

Posting this for others reading this, I acknowledge that the op has moved on and is using their external camera instead. But I want to be crystal clear, with the correct settings, it works just fine unless there is a bad setting or a camera issue in a one off instance. :slight_smile:

obs

4 Likes