[RESPONDED] Charging speed policy

Hello all,

I am running a Framework 13" Intel 12th gen 1240P with Debian Bookworm Cinnamon (with a ZFS boot if it maters).
Firmware 3.05.

Sometimes the charging speed is very low ; sometimes it is high.

I use two models of chargers :

I have a Watt Meter (230 V side of the chargers) to help diagnose my problem.

When I plug the chargers (no matter which charger ; no mater which USB-C port ; no matter which USB cable ; I even tried to switch sides of the cables) to my sleeping Framawork, most of the times the charger consumes ≈14 W. If I wake up the computer, it climbs to ≈20 W (which means that the chargers are not the limiting factor). It takes several hours to charge my computer.
Every once in a while, the charging speed will climb to ≈50 W (Framework sleeping) up to ≈70 W (computer working hard) (the Mokin charger obviously does not go over 43 W). And then, I can switch chargers, cables, ports, and it will stay at 50 W (sleeping).

This morning, I plugged a Phone Planet 65 W charger. It consumed ≈14W for 10-20 minutes, and then, go figure why, it switched to ≈50 W. I changed absolutely nothing in the meantime !

Does anyone know what charging speed policies could be responsible for this strange behavior ?
Motherboard securities ?
BIOS ?
Debian ?

Thanks for any help !

Cobus.

Hi Cobus,

This sounds like it could be a charger issue, but it’s difficult to say as we don’t have those chargers ourselves to test against. I do not see this as a Linux issue, this strikes me as a PD (power delivery) issue.

If you lack a Framework Charger nearby to compare with, then it would be worth opening a support ticket so it can be escalated to Technical Escalations for further review.

Thanks for your answer, @Matt_Hartley !

Given that there is a total of four chargers involved (of two models), I doubt it comes from the chargers.
As you advised, I will open a support ticket.

1 Like

Among other things, Framework Support advised to switch to firmware (“BIOS”) version 3.06 beta.

Doing just that seems to have solved my problem. Let’s hope it won’t come back.

Cobus.