[RESPONDED] Coreboot on the Framework Laptop

I already announced the agenda for DUG#6, but unfortunately, I didn’t get any reply to my emails, so there is no Framework-related topic there. Maybe next quarter.

5 Likes

If you are a gamer or need windows specific applications then sure.

Yes linux could be more efficient, redhat is constantly trying to add overengineered crap to it.

But even still, windows just dwarfs linux in bloatware.

Is it easy to replace parts in the chromebook edition of the framework laptop?

Also, how do you relax the coreboot settings to install a different distro?

2 Likes

Pretty sure the physical parts are just like the regular FW13 in terms of ease of replacement.

No clue about the rest.

2 Likes

do you or anyone know if coreboot support is coming for the DIY versions? That would be awesome. Especially if it has intel me disabled support too. Although the second option could be dealt with solo probably.

When coreboot gets ported, it may unofficially be supported, there would need to be some shim or way to update it onto a DIY or prebuild anyway. I have no idea if FW will officially start shipping coreboot too, but im pretty sure it would add extra labour to add to existing boards. An official download would be cool. Future knows. (there is no difference hardware wise on the mainboard between prebuild and diy as far as I know in any gen of the FW13 laptops, 16 I dunno.

1 Like

Reason I would want the regular framework laptop with coreboot + intel me disabled is because, well…

I use MBR. Chromebooks after 2018/2019 I recall hearing don’t use legacy boot anymore. I don’t know if they have it.

Also, I use grub to boot my OS usually. So that is a problem. lol.

I use Grub too (actually, GRUB2 to be precise), it works nice even with EFI.

But what kind of partition do you use MBR? OR GPT?

I use MBR, hence why UEFI can be a problem it uses GPT.

I also don’t trust UEFI anyhow.

That’s why I am curious if Framework’s chromebook has legacy boot option in developer mode.

With NVMe disks, like it is used in FW laptops, only the GPT system is available, not the legacy one, because the hardware controller of the disk doesn’t support it.

In some cases, e.g. for some Samsung NVMes, a legacy controller is present alongside the normal controller. You could try. (Btw the NVMes sold by FW are all WD, not Samsung.)

EFI does not trigger security concerns, at least for me. The EFI code used is the one put there by Grub, compiled by Grub, and you can see and inspect it.

looks like DUG …8 will be in December, so there is some time to pass till the next meeting.

There is DUG#7 in September, but maybe some news will appear on OSFC.

1 Like

The disk does not care and supports MBR just fine.
But MBR is called legacy for a reason. No one is adding new features to CSM / legacy boot. So it is the BIOS that cannot boot MBR from NVMe drives.
Same as MBR partitioning scheme only goes to 2TiB.
You can use it for larger drives, you just cannot cover all of the drive with that scheme.

It seems that you may be right, and the info available on this on the web is pure chaos.
Here is the page that got me confused:
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=85840

1 Like