[RESPONDED] DDR5 on 12th gen Intel?

Hello, I just bought a new 12th gen Intel i7-1260p. I didn’t add RAM to my order because reading the CPU spec sheet it says it will support DDR5-4800, so I’m planning on buying that 3rd party and installing. However after reading the forums a little, I’m confused now as to whether DDR5 is actually supported in this configuration. Can anyone clarify?

-Pants

1 Like

Hello,

No, DDR5 is not supported on the 12th gen mainboards. DDR4-3200 only, no XMP.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. Do you happen to know what this limitation stems from? Is it actually a limitation, or is it just not technically supported by Framework?

1 Like

Intel 12th gen supports either DDR4 or DDR5. To maintain compatibility with their 11th gen motherboards, Framework chose DDR4 support on 12th gen. This means DDR5 modules not only won’t work, they won’t physically fit at all.

I for one am thankful for it, it meant I could just swap mainboards when I upgraded from 11th gen to 12th gen and move the modules over. The speed difference is negligible and DDR4 is cheaper and more widely available than DDR5 SO-DIMM.

DDR5 support will be forced eventually, this is already happening with the new AMD mainboards.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your replies.

1 Like

Replying to add explicitly that DDR5 will not work on 12th gen, it’s not just unsupported. The connectors are different.

3 Likes