[RESPONDED] Efi partition, Dual boot

I want to install Linux (LMDE or Pop.os) on my system alongside Windows 11. I created the following partitions using Gparted.

/dev/nvme0n1p1, System, 500 MB, Fat32, boot/efi
/dev/nvme0n1p2, unkown, 500 MB, Fat32
/dev/nvme0n1p3, Primary (Windows 11), 976 GB, NTFS
/dev/nvme0n1p4, Windows Reserviert, 16 MB
/dev/nvme0n1p5, unkown, 732 GB, ex4

Linux will be installed on /dev/nvme0n1p5. I marked the mount point at “/”.

The Live Linux is connected via Ventoy via an external drive.
The partitions were created, but the Linux installer refuses to serve me with the following reason:

Installer: The EFI partition is not bootable. Please edit the partition markers.

Systemparameter:
Systemhersteller Framework
Systemmodell Laptop
Systemtyp x64-basierter PC
System-SKU FRANBMCP0A
Prozessor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz, 2419 MHz, 4 Kern(e), 8 logische(r) Prozessor(en)

BIOS-Version/-Datum INSYDE Corp. 03.19, 29.05.2023
SMBIOS-Version 3.3

Betriebsystemname Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

SSD: Crucial P3 Plus, PCI 4.0 NVME
Größe: 2 TB

Somebody any idea?

Perhaps you didn’t set the “boot” flag in Gparted?
I would think the LMDE or Pop.os installer would also let you add it if it’s missing, but I’m not certain.

Boot flag is used for vintage boot partitions (msdos type) if memory serves me well.
My efi partition looks like:

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048         1023999   499.0 MiB   0700  EFI system partition
   2         1024000       205823999   97.7 GiB    8300  
   3       205824000      1000215182   378.8 GiB   8300  

mount | grep efi
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/nvme0n1p1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

Make sure the parameters are set correctly and it should work.
I format it as vfat BTW.

1 Like

I read that it’s now only required by some firmware, when booting in legacy mode. Guess it was added to my partition either by default or I did it just to ensure compatibility.

Hi, thank you for your quick respond.
I agree with you, that boot flag sounds quite vintage. However I assumed that I use flags for markers, meaning boot/efi - describe that this is the efi boot. :wink:
Further this what GPARTED ask for.

I will considering vfat, but I doubt that this a major point.

I just looked at my system and pasted what works here.
I boot actually from another Linux and Windows on that one. Even though I haven’t tried windows in years … Maybe I should to make some updates after all …

thank you

You should be fine with a Fat32 efi. That’s what mine is. Setup to dual boot win/linux, despite not actually ever using windows.

Windows updates can be an extreme pain in the ass when you don’t use windows and there is a pile of updates. Some updates require reboots, plus time spent “applying updates” at shutdown, and at startup. Doing that multiple times in a row gets tiresome real fast.

I do that during work Video conferences. That’s what it’s for.

Welcome to the community!

Nothing to add here as anything that comes to mind would fall into community support territory. Jorg’s suggestion is where I’d be at.