[RESPONDED] Fedora KDE - "Disable while typing" for touchpad doesn't work

In KDE, there’s an option for the touchpad that will disable it while typing, so you don’t click if you accidentally touch it while typing. On my old Framework 13 this setting worked as intended, but on the 16 it doesn’t seem to do anything. Anyone got any ideas?

1 Like

Your distro needs to pick this up:

4 Likes

Now I’m curious how typical onborad devices are detected.

How long is this going to take for Fedora 39?
Is there a way to integrate this manually?

You can file a bug with Fedora asking them to pull it in if you want:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com

1 Like

The file in the filesystem is /usr/share/libinput/50-system-framework.quirks. I would say just drop another file in /usr/share/libinput with those changes for now.

2 Likes

I’m trying to figure out this issue as well. Local device quirks should be placed in /etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks.

https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/device-quirks.html

According to libinput documentation, it’s best to add it to a file at etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks. Will probably have to create the file, it’s not there by default. I put the extra stuff in the link you gave and it works!

So, for anyone else with this issue, just add the following to the file I mentioned:

[Framework Laptop 16 Keyboard Module]
MatchName=Framework Laptop 16 Keyboard Module*
MatchUdevType=keyboard
MatchDMIModalias=dmi:*svnFramework:pnLaptop16*
AttrKeyboardIntegration=internal

And reboot.
Random question - is this already in Fedora Workstation 39? I would think so given that it’s officially supported by the FW16, but this doesn’t seem like something that should be different across DE and it’s not in the KDE version of Fedora 39. Not sure, but anyway the fix is fairly simple so it’s not a huge deal.

2 Likes

No this isn’t in Fedora yet. You can file a bug with them to pull it in early, or otherwise it will come in after the next upstream libinput release.

question, is Fedora KDE still on X, or is it wayland now. I’m using wayland and the quirks don’t seem to be applying.

It has both, but I’m using Wayland and it’s working fine. Not sure why it won’t work for you. Make sure it’s in thr exact right path, might have to make a directory for that. Could try just adding it to the base file that libinput normally uses but that might get reset if libinput is updated.

lmao nvm

as one that posted the documentation, but didn’t RTFM, there’s a command libinput quirks that debugs the file.

apparently having a blank newline at the end of the file makes it fail to parse. Fixed it and it works now

That’s odd. Could have sworn I had a blank line at the end of mine too. But if it works it works!

@Arthur_Bols by chance can you help get this into Fedora ahead of a new upstream libinput release? It’s a trivial quirk.

1 Like

Can’t promise anything, but I’ll open a PR tomorrow.

2 Likes

PR is submitted. I’ll keep you updated.

2 Likes

Update is in testing! FEDORA-2024-efd370d724 — bugfix update for libinput — Fedora Updates System

Please don’t give positive karma without actually testing the update. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

For Fedora users, the quirk should be coming.

For anyone else:

/etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks

to

[Framework Laptop 16 Keyboard Module]  
MatchName=Framework Laptop 16 Keyboard Module*  
MatchUdevType=keyboard  
MatchDMIModalias=dmi:*svnFramework:pnLaptop16*  
AttrKeyboardIntegration=internal
3 Likes

isn’t working for me, but I think it’s something wrong on my end for some reason. After installing the test update I see the quirk in /usr/share/libinput/50-system-framework.quirks, but disable while typing still doesn’t work. Worked fine for me before with the local-overrides file (which I have now made empty to test the update)

nevermind. Removing the local-overrides file entirely fixed the issue. Not sure why it was effecting it while the file was empty, but it’s working now.

2 Likes