[RESPONDED] Firmware bug: ACPI table error causes missing sensors on Linux 6.7+

After upgrading to upstream’s 6.8.1, I discovered that the acpitz sensors (motherboard temperature sensors) are missing.

The kernel now logs on boot:

ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (-274000)
ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: No valid trip points!

It looks like this was caused by:

which now validates the value in the _CRT element for the thermal zone, and ignores any thermal zones where it is invalid.

If I’m reading the DSDT correctly, the _HOT threshold is reported as 0x1218 (463.2 degrees) and the _CRT threshold is 0x12E0 (483.2 degrees). Linux ignores any threshold above 448 degrees as implausibly high.

I’m not sure how to report firmware bugs like this, but can the ACPI tables be fixed in a future firmware update so that Linux continues to report thermal information?

4 Likes

As that commit says no intended functional impact I think you should also report a kernel bug to kernel bugzilla.

I filed 218652 – acpitz sensors regression on Linux 6.7+ on Framework 16 upstream for this. Still, it seems like both sides are buggy - even if they restore the missing sensors, without valid thresholds, Linux can’t suspend itself automatically when the system is overheating.

I agree with you based on what you’ve said above. You should file a report with framework support so they can get the bios side fixed in a future update.

I just saw this now and wanted to mention I’ve also got a bug reported: 218586 – No ACPI Thermal Zones after Kernel 6.8

I’ve got 2 patches that ‘fix’ this:

1. Keeps the warning, but continues registering the thermal zones
  2. Raises the valid limits to 488K (215°C) so it’s now valid again
2 Likes

This is still an issue with the Framework 3.03 beta firmware and kernel 6.8.2-zen2-1-zen.

I think you should report this to framework support if you haven’t already so they can track it to get fixed with the engineering team.

I tried, but I got stuck in a cycle of irrelevant questions about things like which SSD brand I’m using x_x

Looks like your ticket is waiting on you to provide requested logs. From there, the ticket is then escalated and if need be, will be sent to engineering.

The kernel logs are already here and in the linked kernel.org bugs, but I just replied to the ticket with a copy of them there, too.

It looks like Kernel 6.9 will be getting a fix that will allow the thermal zones to register despite the bogus trip values. However, that does not eliminate the need for Framework to put valid thermal zone data in the ACPI tables for the various operations that may utilize the trip values.

1 Like