[RESPONDED] Framework 12th gen not waking from sleep [Debian 12.5]

• Which OS (Operating System)? Debian 12.5 (Linux)

• Which Framework laptop (11th, 12th or 13th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with? Intel 12th Gen

Since I got my Framework 12th gen, I’ve always had an issue where the system would occasionally take forever to wake from suspend/sleep, and today it refused to wake up at all. I looked in the logs and there are no errors or hints into what it could be, so I’m guessing it may be related to firmware/hardware. Here’s an image of the last logs in the system journal before the system suspended:

Also, here’s more system info:
Screenshot_20240306_093324

What sleep mode are you using, s2idle or deep?
You can check with the following (the selected method has brackets around it).

cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle [deep]

The battery life threads on this forum suggest using s2idle, but I’ve always had the same issue you describe on Debian when using s2idle. Defaulting to deep suspend consistently works better on my 12th Gen Debian system.

I’ll try that @Wade_Richards

@Wade_Richards so far it has been working which suggests that there’s either a bug in Framework’s firmware, a bug in Intel’s microcode or both that causes the system to not respond to any inputs.

For 12th gen, deep should work. We use it in Fedora 39 and Ubuntu LTS. @Loell_Framework can you please triple check on Ubuntu LTS and make sure deep is working there.

We do not officially test against Debian, but I’d double check touching the power button behavior. See if it wakes from there.

It didn’t respond to pressing the power button but [deep] sleep has been working perfectly.

Deep Sleep working with these environment on the 12th gen

Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
6.1.0-1034-oem

loell@loell-Laptop-12th-Gen-Intel-Core:~$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle [deep]

works on closing lid, suspend from menu and systemctl suspend , wake up via power button. :slight_smile:

And this would be expected behavior on OEM C kernel provided in the guide. Thanks Loell.

Was this on Deep @Loell_Framework? Check with cat /sys/power/mem_sleep

Hi @Matt_Hartley , yes this is switched to deep, and still is atm, running ok

Suspend has been real flaky on Debian 12.5 for me on a 12th gen FW 13. I have s2idle set to deep, and what is happening is that resume takes forever. The display will show the login screen but it is flickering.

Does any of the Debian users know what I need to do to make suspend functional?

The irony is that hibernation works great.

@2disbetter Sorry for not updating this. I don’t recommend [deep] sleep anymore as I still got the same issue on my 12th gen. Instead, I recommend using Debian 13 (testing) with [s2idle].

1 Like

Also, for anyone else on Linux, I highly recommend not using fractional scaling (125% - 175% on GNOME) as it has caused performance issues for me in some GTK applications like Libreoffice.

@2disbetter I also recently rebooted the firmware and reinstalled BIOS update 3.08. I haven’t had any issues so far with these changes.

Hello!
I have the same problem:
Debian 12.5, Kernel 6.1.90, 12th Gen, Bios 3.08, [s2idle] deep.

When the device goes to sleep (power button is flashing slowly) it refuses to wake up. Pressing a key on the keyboard results in a constant light on the power button, but the screen remains black until I force a reboot (pressing the power button long).

I can’t say for sure, but IIRC it used to work either before the BIOS update to 3.08 (coming from 3.04) or one of the recent kernel updates.

Any ideas?

Try rebooting the firmware or updating the kernel using Debian backports

I’m actually going to try out Fedora 40 since it’s officially supported by Framework. Hopefully, the issues with suspend/sleep resolve.

@L_K Yesterday I swapped back to Debian 12.5 since GNOME was consistently crashing when using my wacom tablet. However, other than that it was pretty good experience. But! The 6.7.12 kernel just entered bookworm-backports so Debian 12 can have a very recent kernel if need be. I recommend switching to it as it has been stable so far. Also, I switched back to KDE and am using X11 instead of Wayland with fractional scaling set to 125%.

Whoops, I meant to say that I enabled Force Font DPI in the Fonts settings and set it to 124. I didn’t enable fractional scaling.

@L_K @2disbetter I have not had any issues with the 6.7.12 kernel (which is in bookworm-backports and therefore can be installed via apt when the repository is added) thus far and I have been constantly suspending/sleeping and waking the laptop.

My current software specs:
Screenshot_20240607_201344

1 Like

Thank you! I installed Debian 12 again, and have enabled backports and installed the 6.7.12 kernel as well. Fingers crossed that it stays super stable!