[RESPONDED] Framework 16 (with GPU) - Debian 12 - Crashing on window resize

So far setup on the 16 has been fine but I’m currently experiencing regular crashes.

At first it seemed GPU related as the output of journalctl -p3 -r was showing that amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes_2.bin was missing. So I installed firmware-amd-graphics and that seemed to do the trick for that.

However, I keep getting regular crashes when I try and resize a Firefox window (or some other windows) and I’m not sure where to even look

Any ideas?

2 Likes

Install the latest upstream GPU firmware to start (not just the missing bin files).

2 Likes

I think I might be a complete idiot because I’m not seeing any available drivers or firmware for the 7700s that I can readily download from AMD.

And what I can find, they specifically call out Ubuntu, RHEL, and SLED/SLES (not to say that it couldn’t work on other distros, but still).

Am I still missing something obvious? lol

2 Likes

The amdgpu directory there.

2 Likes

It’s not related to your issue, but I wonder where would Debian on FW16 related information be kept and maintained. Here on forum (like [GUIDE] Debian 12 (Bookworm) Works Great on 13th Gen (Intel) Framework 13), framewiki.net, somebody would create a github repo, wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/FrameWork?

1 Like

Getting something on the Debian wiki from the community would be ideal.

1 Like

I’m not much of a wizard. What do I do with the files in the amdgpu folder on this gitlab?

1 Like

Main location for firmware files is /lib/firmware/. Issue command dmesg | grep firmware to find out which files are loaded.

1 Like

Experienced similar issues initially. Here’s what I did that (at least for a couple of hours now) resolved these issues:

• I copied the amdgpu folder from the mentioned firmware repo.
  • I added the backports repo as documented here: Instructions
  • After an sudo apt update I searched for a more recent Linux kernel with apt search linux-image
  • I installed the latest signed image available at the time of writing:
    sudo apt install linux-image-6.6.13+bpo-amd64/stable-backports
  • You can ignore the “missing firmware errors” and after installation is completed, just reboot.
3 Likes

(FW16 w/ GPU) Does this apply to LMDE 6 as well? It installed well, but after about 10 minutes, everything froze up. I’m sort of a newbie with all of this and did not think about any of the things mentioned above.

2 Likes

This is unfortunate. Although I figure I’ll run Testing (aka Trixie for now), to get the newer kernel & KDE Plasma (hopefully 6 will be in there in the next few months).

2 Likes

How do I copy the amdgpu folder from the firmware repo?

1 Like

I believe the folder is amdgpu · main · kernel-firmware / Linux Firmware · GitLab, so if you look at the upper right you see the blue Code button with a down arrow? Click that, and click the Download Folder to download the contents of the directory in your particular choice of format.

I’d extract that locally into a temp folder, in case it download without the parent amdgpu being automatically created. Then copy/move the file(s) into place where they belong.

2 Likes

Is this the folder you copy to?:

Do you copy the whole AMDGPU folder, or just it’s contents there?

Thanks!

Edit, I figured it out. For those like me that need it really spelled out:

Yes /lib/firmware is the correct folder, and you move the actual folder AMDGPU there, not just it’s contents.

1 Like

Hi everybody, I want to put a fine point on this issue/resolution as I ran into this issue myself. I’m running Debian 12 (Bookworm) on my Framework 16 with an AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics. On install, I got the following error in my dmesg:

amdgpu 0000:c1:00.0: firmware: failed to load amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes_2.bin (-2)

Any programs that used GPU would cause a my GUI to freeze and crash, often forcing me into TTY. I saw Firefox-ESR and Wayland both trigger this issue. The general error on crash looked like this:

kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, signaled seq=35557, emitted seq=35559
kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Process information: process firefox-esr pid 8531 thread firefox-es:cs0 pid 8640
kernel: amdgpu 0000:c1:00.0: amdgpu: GPU reset begin!
kernel: [drm:mes_v11_0_submit_pkt_and_poll_completion.constprop.0 [amdgpu]] *ERROR* MES failed to response msg=3
kernel: [drm:amdgpu_mes_unmap_legacy_queue [amdgpu]] *ERROR* failed to unmap legacy queue
kernel: [drm:mes_v11_0_submit_pkt_and_poll_completion.constprop.0 [amdgpu]] *ERROR* MES failed to response msg=3
kernel: [drm:amdgpu_mes_unmap_legacy_queue [amdgpu]] *ERROR* failed to unmap legacy queue
kernel: [drm:gfx_v11_0_hw_fini [amdgpu]] *ERROR* failed to halt cp gfx

If you are experiencing this issue the solution is as follows:

Press CTRL+ALT+F3 to access TTY. If you’re Fn lock is activated, de-activate it first.

Login with your normal credentials.

Download the AMDGPU folder from the above link, use this command:

wget https://gitlab.com/kernel-firmware/linux-firmware/-/archive/main/linux-firmware-main.zip?path=amdgpu

If you’ve already added user account to the sudoers file, use sudo, otherwise elevate yourself to root:

su

I’m a little fuzzy on if there was an amdgpu directory on my fresh install of Debian, so as sudo or root, try and create /lib/firmware/amdgpu. If it doesn’t exist, it will create the directory, if it does, it will give you an error and that’s OK, then we can move on to the next step. The command is as follows:

mkdir /lib/firmware/amdgpu

Next step: As sudo or root, move the amdgpu file to /lib/firmware

mv ./amdgpu/* /lib/firmware/amdgpu/

As sudo or root, rebuilt your initramfs (this is CRUCIAL):

update-initramfs -u

There will be some errors, that’s OK.
Now reboot.

This should resolve the issue. I don’t believe there is a need to upgrade to a newer kernel via Debian backports as is listed above.

3 Likes

Aaaa!! Thank you!

I “upgraded” my firmware about three weeks ago and I was still getting random crashes (on the 13" version, so I never noticed this thread). Last week I updated to BIOS 3.05 and the most frequent type of crashes I experienced have stopped, so I was happy to finally have some peace and considered the amdgpu issues solved. Until it crashed again today, after 9 days of uptime…

While researching the issue some more before posting, I finally happened to run into this thread. I had no idea that the initrd must be regenerated, so I have been running on old GPU firmware the whole time…

Debian wiki seems to have disabled account creation, so I contacted them via e-mail to try and get the information on the FW 13 AMD 7040 series page, where it could be a little more discoverable.