[RESPONDED] Framework and PopOS

Sending, again, I don’t post this live as it is absolutely dated and untested at this point.

A reminder:

systemd-boot not grub, use System76 docs for using kernelstub usage (as you will not have grub parameters).

2 Likes

@Matt_Hartley also interested in the outdated guide! I might update it and publish an unofficial one on my blog - running PopOS on a FW13 11th Gen Intel so far without any issues.
Sleep works, function keys work, fingerprint auth works.

2 Likes

Hi @pmn It’s sent.

To anyone else reading this, I cannot stress this enough, this guide is super dated and has zero support. You will be better off on Ubuntu 22.04.3 with the recommended kernel or Fedora which have solid support.

1 Like

the concern with Ubuntu is how canonical is focusing the use of Snap rather than being open to flatpak or apt’ed installation. Snap packages are slower than using the flatpak that can come from the group making the software. For example LibreOffice and Mozilla. Ubuntu does not have the latest binaries yet or have lag to get Mozilla updated.

Debian 12 has switched to the above model – support for both flatpak and apt packages.

In other words Ubuntu appears to be making strides as RedHat has done with Enterprise Linux and CentOS. RedHat also let go the Fedora product (or program) manager.

I understand that Framework may not have the staff, but I believe there are dedicate users within this community that can help.

when it comes to support or hardware, as long as Framework is transparent to what is being used… I am sure we can find the detail.

I have the 12th Gen laptop using Pop!_OS. Once I got it installed and a few months later, all the past manuals were removed.

I even got the realtek ethernet card to work on pop!_OS. I am waiting for my AMD motherboard, but I will cautiously take the same approach.

I agree, doing something with Pop and other distros in the community space is a worthwhile endeavor. We have similar threads for Nix and Debian.

1 Like

Given my early tests with Debian 12 using a virtual guest, I would not mind helping/sharing how to do an installation for a DIY Framework laptop model.

1 Like

Adding my two cents worth to say that I am pro Snaps and want it to succeed, but when I tried it on my Framework, it was completely broken. Ubuntu was rock solid but some snaps wouldn’t update via the software center, and manually updating using CLI broke tracking via the software center.

I now use Fedora, but some issues I have faced including how some software do not support fedora out-of-the-box, such as Mozilla VPN. Not currently familiar with compiling software myself to make this work.

The advantage to Fedora ootb is that the default power management is pretty good. Really makes a difference that overnight I can expect that my laptop won’t drain completely. I also get a few good hours on battery for basic tasks, so that is a great plus on some occasions.

1 Like

Yep seeing this as well, PM just works on fedora, no extra settings or command to invoke. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can confirm that Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS works flawlessly out of the box (in order to make the fingerprint sensor work I had to use the beta fix, but that’s unrelated with the OS).

Laptop 13 - i5-1340P - 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200

1 Like

No, we provide zero support for it, see here please.

I know, sharing my experience with it precisely for this reason.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

@Matt_Hartley May I please have a copy of the outdated 22.04 guide aswell ? I acknowledge the risks.

Not a risk, it’s a matter of it is HORRIBLY out of date. Half the parameters are obsolete, some don’t even apply anymore. I’ll send it.

ALL: Just run Fedora if you want a well supported, but cutting edge distro.

@Matt_Hartley Thank you and I appreciate the clarification.

I wish that was the case for me, but providing a counterexample of the same 22.04 LTS irredeemably failing to boot (secure boot is off) on Framework 13 - i5-1340P - 2 x 16GB RAM. Because this is apparently a “no fix” issue, I’ll try one of the officially supported distros instead. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Agnes
Huh that looks a little strange. Does the live boot disk do that? Or does that kernel error happen after install?
Looks like the kernel is being setup incorrectly - repairing the install or reinstalling should fix that but I wonder if there’s something funnier going on

1 Like

@Kent_Brockman It’s in fact a fresh install for my brand-new Framework 13 straight out of the box. Checksum was good and I used Etcher to flash my 4GB USB. I didn’t try again with Pop!_OS, and for a bit I was afraid that the issue was with the hardware (e.g. bad memory installation, old USB), but I’m happy to report that I was able to successfully get Fedora 38 running, and it’s very nice so far!

1 Like

@Agnes - did you try the livecd version first?

It is possible to have any Linux distro experience problems on any system - even ones not using Framework hardware. As an example, I had an issue a couple years ago with Framework 11th gen intel and Fedora. It turns out it was an item I was using with the laptop rather than the hardware itself.

The key part of troubleshooting for any Linux distro is to use the livecd first. Check how the livecd works with the hardware you choose to use with your Framework. I would even include the items you connect to the laptop too.

When comparing Fedora to Pop!_OS the distro has differences.

if you have a working system do not feel obligated to change anything, I can understand how frustrated to not have a working system.

3 Likes

Based on @Agnes’ post here, is it safe to assume this is resolved?

1 Like