[RESPONDED] Hybrid-sleep not supported (Debian, AMD Ryzen 7 7840U)

Hi everyone,

I realize Debian is not an officially supported distribution, I’m just trying to see if I’m missing something.

I’d like to use hybrid-sleep on Kernel 6.7.12. As far as I’ve understood S3 (hibernate) is not supported on AMD which is ok. A friend with an intel based FW13 can do hybrid-sleep out of the box and I’m now wondering if it should work or if I am missing something on my side.

So what I’ve been trying is

systemctl hybrid-sleep
Call to HybridSleep failed: Sleep verb 'hybrid-sleep' is not configured or configuration is not supported by kernel
grep -i sleep /boot/config-6.7.12-amd64
CONFIG_PM_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_PM_SLEEP_SMP=y
# CONFIG_PM_AUTOSLEEP is not set
# CONFIG_PM_USERSPACE_AUTOSLEEP is not set
CONFIG_PM_SLEEP_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_PM_GENERIC_DOMAINS_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE_SLEEP=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_ATOMIC_SLEEP is not set

/etc/systemd/sleep.conf has the following defaults

[Sleep]
#AllowSuspend=yes
#AllowHibernation=yes
#AllowSuspendThenHibernate=yes
#AllowHybridSleep=yes
#SuspendState=mem standby freeze
#HibernateMode=platform shutdown
#MemorySleepMode=
#HibernateDelaySec=
#SuspendEstimationSec=60min

Maybe someone has an idea :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone!
Rhalina

Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t hybrid-sleep, saving image to ram and disk? If hibernate is not supported on AMD which saves image to disk, then it can’t support hybrid-sleep right? Just having a thought, I have no comprehensive knowledge on this area.

Oh and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Hibernate is supported, it’s just not setup by default in most distributions. It has nothing to do with s3idle support which is what you are thinking of .

Hybrid sleep works just fine and I tested it on fedora39(but currently don’t have it setup). There are potentially issues with LUKS and potentially Secure-boot, but some users have posted success stories on the forum.

The most basic use case with secure boot off and no volume encryption works just fine with minimal work.

2 Likes