[RESPONDED] How to enable S3 Sleep on AMD Framework?

Hi all,

I know that S3 sleep is not ‘officially’ supported on the intel machines, but seems to work.

Is the same true for the AMD Framework 13? I can’t find anything in the bios to enable, on prior ThinkPads it’s been a setting like ‘Enable Legacy Linux Suspend’.

Hoping someone has the answer!

3 Likes

User sleep then hibernate if you want similar behaviour

Yeah that’s what I’m doing right now, but the resume time is much longer for hibernate. Seems like there’s no way to enable S3?

Even on Thinkpads that are Rembrandt or later S3 has been dropped.
It was only an option with Cezanne and earlier.

If you have power consumption issues over s2idle please check with scripts/amd_s2idle.py · master · drm / amd · GitLab

Also be sure that you have the cards all in the slots suggested by Framework.

4 Likes

Marking this ticket as replied, thanks Mario. :slight_smile:

I used Smokeless UMAF to enable S3 sleep, however the laptop failed to resume after suspend, forcing me to force shutdown. Which setting should I adjust to trobleshoot the problem?

Or continue using S0i3, which settings do you recommend to further saving energy? NVMe D3Cold?

1 Like

Like I said, S3 isn’t supported in Phoenix. I don’t recommend changing anything you’re finding from this tool that pulls “hidden configurations”, it’s just going to make it very hard to debug problems.

Do you have any advice for what to do after running the script? It provides some info (low hardware sleep residency, rtc_cmos not configured to use ACPI alarm), but aside from that, is there anything to do beyond following the issue links?

Framework 16 for me, but s2idle power consumption feels pretty high and I would also like an S3 (“deep” mem_sleep) option since it’s what I’m familiar with from Windows, but I also understand that S3 sleep has largely been deprecated and that S0ix/suspend/s2idle is supposed to replace it.

Without good support for hibernate and without suspend-to-RAM, the power consumption of s2idle needs to be exceptional

Create a new topic and attach the entire log.

NOTE: using an officially supported Linux distro will help here.

Do the things the script tells you to fix. If it has and red X lines then there is a problem to fix.

Running a supported distro or at least a newer kernel generally fixes issues.

Text files can’t be uploaded it seems… I’ll create a new topic anyway

@Mario_Limonciello, no red x’s or specific actions. Can discuss more on the other topic.

Thank you!