[RESPONDED] Intermittent wi-fi failure on Ubuntu 22.04 with 6.5 kernel

I’m having this issue, but none of the solutions described in that thread seem to apply to me. My kernel is up to date, at version 6.5. I don’t see anything that looks like an error when I look for mt7921e (the kernel module for Mediatek wireless card support) or wlp1s0 (the network device name) in my dmesg output. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

One thing that that might be relevant: when I installed Ubuntu, the secure boot setup menu timed out before I had a chance to enter my secure boot password. As a result, I’m not sure whether or not secure boot is working. I’ve heard that this can stop some proprietary kernel drivers from working.

System info

• Format: Framework 13
  • Mainboard: AMD Ryzen 7 7840U
  • Wireless card: MEDIATEK Corp. Device e616
  • Kernel driver in use: mt7921e
  • Kernel: 6.5.0-15-generic #15~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC

Hi @Aaron_Fenyes ,

Welcome to the community :slight_smile:
would you be able to link your whole journal logs when wifi is getting the issue?

journalctl -b 0

Hi, @Loell_Framework—thanks for getting in touch! Could you give feedback on this potential fix? You can probably test the newer version of linux-firmware more safely than I can. If the newer firmware works, and there’s not currently a repository that Jammy users can install it from, would you consider hosting it in a PPA?

would you be able to link your whole journal logs when wifi is getting the issue?

If my connection drops at a time when I’m not busy with anything else, I’ll grab my logs and post them here. If you don’t want to wait, you can probably collect the logs yourself: as I said in my support request, I suspect that any AMD Laptop 13 running a fresh installation of Jammy will have this problem out of the box.

Update (@Loell_Framework): my connection dropped, and I grabbed the logs. Since I don’t know whether journalctl logs can contain sensitive information, I’ve e-mailed the logs to EJ, who responded to my support request by e-mail. Before you open them, note that the zip file decompresses to around 100 MB.

@Loell_Framework, if the Linux support department has any better ideas than manually installing upstream firmware, please let me know. I’m not excited about the prospect of bricking my laptop after spending a week getting it all set up, but it’s getting hard to work without reliable internet.

Hi @Aaron_Fenyes ,

I think I would trust Mario’s instruction on this. Also there’s so much overhead on maintaining a PPA.