Ryzen 13 high heat on a single CPU sensor

Hey everyone,

I have a Batch 5 framework 13 Ryzen laptop and I’ve been noticing some weird temps. It was fine for the first month or so I have been using it usually no more than 75C briefly with web browsing and office work, but now it is pegged at 85+ often hitting 100C all on sensor 4 on the CPU. I don’t want to have to replace the thermal past but will do it if I have to (I have some NT-H2 if that is appropriate, or can use thermal phase change pads).

My only concern is if this would void the framework warranty. If it would then I have no issue sending it back as I can easily use one of my other laptops for work.

It would be extremely concerning if re-pasting voided the warranty.

1 Like

You are not alone. I have a batch 9 Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 7 7840u, and I’ve also been having issues with the thermal performance. This does not seem to be limited to a single sensor. But it’s very easy to push the overall temperature to 100c, even with a single core workload. The laptop was doing this right from the get-go. I contacted support and explained the problem to them. After some back and forth, I was instructed to try repasting the CPU/Heatsink with some NT-H1 that I had lying around from my last desktop build. This did not seem to make a difference. Support then sent me a tube of their stock thermal paste and instructed me to repaste it again. Still no difference. I noticed that the amount of paste between the heatsink and CPU would be pretty much none. Like the mounting pressure was enough to squeeze it all out. So I started to experiment, and I’ve found that if I leave the screws for the heatsink just a little loose, then the thermal performance is significantly improved. By a little loose, I mean that I turn the screws back in one turn at a time on each screw and that I stop one turn after I feel resistance on the screws.

Now, my laptop performs as it should, and it can sustain an all-core load and maintain a temperature of 90c after the fans kick in. Before, it would hit 100c with only one core, and I wouldn’t see the temperature drop until I stopped testing.

1 Like

Great that this works for you, but I find it a bit curious. From a physics perspective, the more you squeeze out, the thinner the paste layer gets, the better your thermal conductivity. The optimum would in principle be a Metal-Metal contact without thermal interface material - but due to air trapped between the sheets, you need some thermal filler, i.e. the paste.

/herodot

That would mean perfect contact or your paste sucks really bad.

You could also try the ptm, that stuff is straight up magic.

:man_shrugging: Never had any issues with NT-H1 thermal paste on any of my desktop builds.

Paste is alright but the ptn is closer to liquid metal than to paste especially in the kind of power envelope of a laptop. I also didn’t believe it until I tried and then moved on to lm but that really wasn’t worth it.

I would be willing to do more testing to try to figure out why it worked for me if you have any recommendations.

Can you share a link to a product page for PTN? Depending on the cost, I may try it to see what kind of a difference it makes.

It’s called PTM7950 you can ind it all kinds of places. It’s not all that expensive.