Screwdriver expansion card

@Sat0xshi the aux port is 3.5mm(1/8 inch). The typical screwdriver bits are 4mm in the smallest width. So a tad bit larger. Good thought though! And might be helpful if the usb pass through version can only house one bit.

1 Like

I cant really make a screwdriver expansion card, but, as a knife maker, I am actually thinking of making a knife expansion card. Sure, it would be a really small blade and not really useful for anything, but it could be a fun project.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been looking for a way to carry around the Framework screwdriver so I can open the laptop when Iā€™m not at home. I notice the bit on the FW screwdriver is removable, so it should work if your hex slot is the correct size and deep enough.

If so, Iā€™d happy buy one of these from you for say, $25 plus shipping. Figure it would help fund the project.

2 Likes

Maybe move the bit to one of the corners? Might make the screwdriver a bit easier to turn and could free up the space for a USB-C connector

My Fusion 360 doesnā€™t want to work right now so hereā€™s a crude drawing

Not sure if this (+ a bit holder on the right) leaves enough space for USB passthrough, I havenā€™t seen the inside of one of these things

3 Likes

@devryd if the handle is ergonomic, even a small xacto style knife can come in really handy! Would love to see something like this!

@Richard_Tango-Lowy thanks so much for the generous offer of buying the expansion card :star_struck: It certainly would help the development! I donā€™t have a Framework screwdriver bit with me. Is there any way you could share a photo of the removable bit with a ruler next to it so I can get an idea of the length? I know the width is correct.

Another way would be to keep your screwdriver intact, and I could ship you a T5 and PH0 bit along with the 3d printed part. Iā€™m sure I could procure them in bulk for less than a dollar a pop, so itā€™s not a major expense.

@dkter the design you suggest could work if the bit was on the far corner, as is it might prevent the latch from working.

1 Like

Here are a couple images of the bit removed from the handle. The first shows length next to Frameworkā€™s HDMI expansion card, while the second shows the bit in my Snack Drawer expansion card. (It fits completely horizontally in my openable snack drawer, which has slightly thinner walls.) The width appears to be 4mm.

But youā€™re rightā€“any T5 bit would probably work fine. Framework uses a magnet to lock the bit into the handle. If Framework made a 30mm version of the handle, that would fit into the Snack Drawer as well, and all this would be moot.

1 Like

@Richard_Tango-Lowy thanks so much for the photos! I agree with the idea that it might make more sense to make a handle for the framework bit that fits into the snack drawer. That way you can keep other tiny assortments like micro sd cards as well.

I took a stab at it. Took less than five minutes, lol. Iā€™ve added it to Thingiverse here. Unfortunately, I donā€™t have a framework screwdriver to test here, but Iā€™m 90% sure itā€™ll work.

1 Like

I like the idea of placing the bit at the corner. Maybe I could make a ā€œknife bitā€, that fits there as well

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s an idea.

A corner socket.

Enough storage internally to hold the bit.

Iā€™m not interested in USB pass through though.

@devryd if you need help on the handle, Iā€™m more than happy to help. Just give me dimensions of the tang.

@Ben_R do you mean the corner socket such that the framework bit + handle fits in the snack drawer?

I would try to use the card itself fot the handle, like for the screw driver

1 Like

@devryd sweet! Something similar to the flip design I first suggested for the screwdriver might make sense for the largest possible blade size then?

This is looking very slick. Let me know when you have something ready to test, and we can set up a paypal transfer or such.

This is a quick design, i came up with.
I still dont know, what use such a small blase would be, But it might be a fun project

I just had to partially disassemble mine againā€¦

And got reminded these screws arenā€™t extremely tight.

The smaller handle shouldnā€™t be a problem after allā€¦

A wingnut that the tip attaches to would be sufficient.

Would end up looking like the winding crank on an old music boxā€¦

Could accept any socket tips, too.

No framework or framework screwdriver hereā€™s either- but I do happen to own a screwdriver that uses 30mm x 4mm hex double sided bits. only a 7 minute print and since itā€™ll be helpful to get into small corners and such, even if the handle on the screwdriver does have a similar doohickey in the handle- figured iā€™d give it a go to test.
Works great- full length is just under 35mm

4 Likes

I really like this [bit holder + USB-C pass-through] idea!

To avoid needing to open it up for bit storage though, it could be seated in a carriage (parallel to pass-through PCB) thatā€™s slideable from the outside? i.e. so itā€™s in the corner, but protrudes out of the face with the USB-C socket.

1 Like

Working on this with USB C passthrough.

2 Likes

take my money dot gif.

Now I just wonder if thereā€™s such a thing as a hex attachment that ends in a spudger, then Iā€™m all set

Iā€™d still love one of these and would be willing to pay for it (e.g. Snackdrawer). I travel quite a bit and it would be nice to have the screwdriver available if I needed it.