Screwdriver expansion card

Fully functioning USB C port, with storage and a screwdriver port

14 Likes

Note that I have not tested this, it should work in theory but take precautions with your device. I will update when it is tested.

5 Likes

I havenā€™t got the USB C passthrough part but this is it in screwdriver mode (the bit is really tight)

Donā€™t mind the imperfections, this is my first prototypes. The storage slot works but I need to make the bit looser and add a cap.

3 Likes

I missed the existence of this thread! These cards are amazing. Screwdriver kit is also on our internal wishlist of Expansion Cards, so we can check that one off!

12 Likes

Iā€™m curious what other expansion cards are on the internal wishlist? Is there a list anywhere that we could see?

@nrp Have you done any testing on the strength of the rails, as Iā€™m planning on using it with an amount of weight on the rails?

1 Like

Bookmarked! Would purchase in a heartbeat if offered through the market place.

This should become the standard design for all C modules.

1 Like

@Josh_Cook Have you made any findings on that since? Iā€™m also curious about the robustness of the rails for an adapter I have in mind that should hold the weight and the forces that are exerted by a suspended power bankā€¦

I offered to buy one of these a year ago. Offer still stands.

My friend Ben jumped in on this one and finished the project for me.

The card holds the bit for the Framework screwdriver along with a magnetized socket. Take the two parts out, slip them together, and voila!

Iā€™ll post the design when he sends it to me.

11 Likes

https://www.printables.com/model/514843-framework-screwdriver-expansion-card

Ben says ā€œNow to see how many people actually try and print one. I realized it has a little bit of a protrusion that Iā€™ll fix and upload a new version tomorrowā€ which was yesterday, so itā€™s probably fixed.

Anyway, pretty darned small protrusion if you ask me.

3 Likes

Iā€™d buy two of these in a heartbeat
The GitHub repository no longer exists :c

This is awesome! Iā€™m going to print it in silver glitter - itā€™s the closest I have to the Framework laptop body. Iā€™ll be sure to post here and on Printables.

Oh and I will try the magnet: https://www.amazon.ca/Entemah-Refrigerator-Magnets-Whiteboard-Billboard/dp/B09WZYN4TD

Iā€™ll let Ben know.