Second SSD Storage Size Help

Hi all! I have not found info about 2nd storage size. From my PC I get two SSD with 2280 size. On of them is ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade with heatsink. So my questions is:

• Is it possible to use 2 SSD with 2280 size on FW 16?
  • Is it enough space to use it with heatsinks?
  • What if I have no space for heatsink, can I use SSD without it?
  • What is a normal temperature of SSD when active use laptop for example in Premiere Pro?

Only one slot is 2280. Second slot is 2230

No, it does not seem that there is space.

Yes, they sell SSDs without heatsinks.
I would not recommend trying to remove the heatsink from an SSD that comes with one attached. I’ve seen people rip off the chips when attempting that.

I think this is entirely dependent on what SSD it is. Each is different. Some run hotter or cooler. Also depends on the load.

Note that if you want to use a double-sided 2280 you’ll need to look at this Height limitations when using double-sided SSD for Primary Storage

4 Likes

It’s impossible for me to confirm if it works as intended unless I got my FL 16 to test it, but I did prepare a way to be able to do so:

SSD’s sold with a heatsink attached shouldn’t be used outside desktops.
I can recommend the drive I got for the project I linked to above (SK hynix Gold P31), as it’s one of the coolest running ones ever released, but it’s a Gen3 one so, if you’re unlucky, it might not be available anymore.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice

ok i found this pretty much if you are looking at the 2230 slot you are getting one of theses drives or going as cheep as possible. https://www.xda-developers.com/seagate-firecuda-520n-2tb-ssd-review/

They not saying anything about temperatures. 2 Tb in such small factor can be hot as hell. I scared to install it there without heatsink. Or somebody have already done this before?

They do offer the WD SN740 NVMe 2TB for the 2230 slot, so that’s at least for that model, they feel confident for the capacity being fine.

1 Like

all 4 of them are 2230’s they are all built with steam decks in mind where heat is even more of an issue.

Many laptops use SSDs without heatsinks. There is no room. Even if you have space for a small low profile one, there is normally little to no air flow across the motherboard in laptops. The purpose of heatsinks is that the fins provide more surface area to transfer heat to the air so it can be moved away. With no air flow, it can’t do this very well. Worst is that you sometimes see low profile “heatsinks” with no fins. Those do little of anything, even with airflow. They’re a joke.

On desktops, it’s a different story. A well-designed case will have air flow being pushed through, over the motherboard. So finned heatsink can work well.

So what do you do on laptops? Well, first, your SSD should throttle if it’s making itself too hot. Second, some SSDs are better at staying cool. You can look at reviews, you’ll see that some maintain lower temperatures compared to others under the same load. Lastly, depending on the location of the SSD within the laptop it may be possible to place a thermal pad so that it contacts the case, and heat can move through there.

Video editing of 4k files. My Adata get 60 degrees when idle without heatsink. So I think I just buy something new without heatsink from factory and test it.

Is it possible to install Windows on one SSD and Linux on the other and use bios to select boot disk?

Yes, you can do that. Many people do like to keep windows on a separate drive since it sometimes has a nasty habit of screwing with the bootloader and removing the linux option.

1 Like

No less so than Linux does. Ubuntu updated and replaced Refind for me all by itself.

Sounds like an Ubuntu problem, not a Linux problem. AFAIK Debian doesn’t do that sort of stuff. Ubuntu is getting, so to speak, a lot more like Windows in those sorts of strong-armed tactics.

2 Likes