Secure Boot Stuck on Disabled

Hello everyone,

I need help with my Framework Laptop 13 (1165G7). I recently updated the BIOS to 3.20 and made some changes to Secure Boot to install Fedora. Now, I’m trying to reset Secure Boot to its default state, but it’s stuck on “Disabled.”

I’ve tried:

• Factory resetting Secure Boot and the BIOS multiple times
  • Reinstalling Windows and the 3.20 BIOS

Unfortunately, nothing has worked. Secure Boot remains disabled, and I can’t downgrade the BIOS because this version blocks downgrades.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi @Alexandre_Hallaine,

Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear your Secure Boot settings are not responding. Have you tried to reset the system board? If nothing is responding in the BIOS screen maybe a board reset will change everything back to its default state. There are instructions in the support area of Framework’s website for the 11th gen boards. You can search the forum for the board reset process too.

Let us know how it turns out.

1 Like

Hi @pkunk ,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually already tried clearing the CMOS (removing and reinserting the CMOS battery) a few times, which is essentially the same as a BIOS reset. Unfortunately, that didn’t resolve the Secure Boot issue.

I’m still open to any other ideas the community might have, but I think my next step will be to contact Framework Support directly.

Thanks again!

You may find that removing the battery isn’t enough and capacitors and the mainboard have to be reset. Best try that anyway maybe.

By the way have you checked the ML1220 for voltage, like how long have you been using it?

1 Like

My apologies, I misspoke in my last message. The “clear CMOS” procedures I performed did follow the tutorial: I removed both the CMOS battery and the main battery from my laptop, then plugged in the charger to make the red LEDs blink, ensuring a complete reset.

Are you suggesting that I should disconnect everything and wait for at least an hour?

No :slight_smile: It says 2 minutes so maybe you could try 3 but not 2x3x10

Resetting the mainboard by using the chassis cover switch is necessary to fully reset the mainboard state. (Click the expand icon for detailed steps on what to expect on the link I posted)

Removing the battery just clears the clock and whatever is not held in NVRAM. Something is likely stuck in the NVRAM that is causing this to no longer function as intended or it literally has stopped working entirely (remote possibility but could happen)

I followed both suggestions: I waited for the recommended time after disconnecting the battery and CMOS battery, and I also performed a full CMOS clear by pressing the open switch on the mainboard 10 times.

The reset was successful, as evidenced by the attached photo showing the BIOS settings after the clear. However, unfortunately, it didn’t resolve my Secure Boot issue. It’s still stuck on “Disabled,” even though I haven’t made any changes to enable it.

Hi @Alexandre_Hallaine,

If you have reset the BIOS on the board to its factory default state and it still is not allowing you to toggle its state, you should contact support and let them know what is going on. I did not recall if you had it working previously; only that you made some changes to install Fedora.

This might be a bug in the latest firmware release. Support may have a process for you to force it to install a previous version of the bios to get it back to the state it was before. Being as you tried to reflash the BIOS v3.20 I have a hard time believing all the parts did not get updated (all the system level components that are part of the BIOS package).

Let us know what you find out. Sorry to hear you are having issues.

bios hardware help

I have noticed that doing a reset to bios defaults does not actually reset anything on the secure boot side.
A different procedure will be needed for the secure boot side, but I don’t know what that is.
For example, my new laptop arrived with secure boot enabled. I went in and disabled it. I have done many board resets, reset to defaults etc.
I have never needed to go into the bios and disable secure boot again.
When setting secure boot, I think you need to set various passwords, so maybe you just need a few steps doing before it enables.

As mentioned maybe

On my Acer Aspire A515-52-51EL Secure Boot is enabled by default.

When accessing the BIOS/UEFI by pressing the F2 key during boot, the Secure Boot option is [Enabled] and greyed out so I couldn’t change it.

In order to change it you need to temporarily set a supervisor password in the BIOS.

Go to the Security page and navigate to Set Supervisor Password.
How to disable Secure Boot on InsydeH20 UEFI BIOS / Acer Aspire A515-52-51EL | TechOverflow

I’ve tried setting a supervisor password in the BIOS, but unfortunately, it didn’t change anything regarding the Secure Boot issue. I’ve reached out to Framework Support and will see if they have a solution. Thanks everyone for the help! :smiley:

2 Likes

Update:

I reached support and got this reply:

“After carefully reviewing the submitted photos and videos, we’ve come to the conclusion that there is a need to replace the mainboard.”

2 Likes

i was going to ask if you had enabled csm (bios compatibility mode) because i think that blocks secure boot from being enabled but i guess it was a mainboard issue

1 Like

I already get my new motherboard but I know that i try it. With and without csm but nothing changed.

1 Like

glad to hear you got the new motherboard!

genuinely curious as to what actually caused the issue (dont suppose anyone will ever find out though)

haha me too, i hope that someone of framework will say.

This topic was mentionned in the first message with the support

1 Like