[SOLVED] Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 7840U w/ 96GB of RAM (Troubleshooting)

Hi there,

I’ve just received my AMD Ryzen 7840U mainboard; I’m updating from an Intel 12th gen. The upgrade went smoothly, but I chose to try sticking 96GB of RAM in the machine to see if I could make it work. I’ve read many posts in this forum from people who have been successful in doing the same, so I decided to give it a try.

I went with Crucial CT2K48G56C46S5, and after installing it and booting the machine I see only 16GB being recognized. The initial memory training, which was supposed to last for at least a couple of minutes (from what I gathered), finished in just a few seconds.

I checked and I have the latest BIOS installed (3.05). Aside from this problem, everything else seems to be working fine.

Now, I understand that this scenario is not officially supported by Framework, and that’s OK. As I said, I know that at least a few people here managed to make this work, so I’m wondering if we could exchange some ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem. Worst case scenario, I can return the RAM I bought and get 64GB instead.

Thanks in advance!

Huh, dmidecode reports the memory model as being CT8G56C46S5, which is really strange.

I think you need to return the ram. Sounds like they sent the wrong ones.

What do the labels on the sticks actually say?

The labels are correct, they contain the expected size (48GB) and model number on both sticks.

Interesting, do they have 8 modules soldered on to each side? Looking at pictures of the 8GB modules they only have 4 on each side.

This is what my own 48GB modules look like.

1 Like

Nope, mine only has 4 modules on each side!

I think I’ve been bamboozled by Amazon. I’ll initiate the replacement process right away. Thanks a lot, this picture really solved the mistery.

1 Like

Glad we could get it sorted out! I picked mine up from a place I trust locally. Hopefully, the refund process isn’t too painful with Amazon.

2 Likes