[SOLVED-GUIDE] 12th gen not sending XF86MonBrightnessUp / Down

Whoa. It works.

UPDATE: see below, it doesn’t actually work.

Without the module block.

I am running Debian bookworm with the stable backport, which means the 6.6.13 kernel:

Linux angela 6.6.13+bpo-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.6.13-1~bpo12+1 (2024-02-15) x86_64 GNU/Linux

The hid_sensor_als is loaded:

anarcat@angela:~$ lsmod | grep ^hid_sensor
hid_sensor_als         16384  0
hid_sensor_trigger     20480  2 hid_sensor_als
hid_sensor_iio_common    20480  2 hid_sensor_trigger,hid_sensor_als
hid_sensor_hub         28672  3 hid_sensor_trigger,hid_sensor_iio_common,hid_sensor_als

and the buttons just work. I love when that happens.

I have no idea if the sensor stuff works, mind you, so I don’t actually know if the light detection part works now. That’s less an issue for me, but I actually would love to hook into that to configure brightness on my other monitors…

2 Likes

Would be interesting to get to the bottom of this and see which commit fixed the Linux kernel regarding this issue.

Well, that’s a downer: it does not actually work. I must of forgotten something along the way (i did reboot, I swear) because right now nothing works, not even the fn lock stuff, it’s kind of infuriating.

Had @Loell_Framework test the 12th gen, generic install of Fedora, no module_blacklist=hid_sensor at all - brightness keys (the labeled brightness keys) worked out of the box upon installation.

1 Like