[SOLVED] My screen flickers sometimes

Sometimes, every few seconds my Framework screen flickers when I boot into any Linux kernel 6, but in kernel 5 it all works fine.

Details:

• Linux Mint 21.1
  • I have removed all Cinnamon extensions
  • I have a dock (through a USB C) that has with one external monitor plugged into it
  • I have another external monitor plugged into the HDMI port
  • Neither of my external monitors flicker. Only the laptop screen flickers.
  • I’m currently running kernel 6.0.7-060007-generic
  • 12th gen Intel core processors

If I unplug a monitor and plug it back in, the flickering might stop.

Thanks.

2 Likes

First of: Welcome to the forums!

As for your issue, you can try this:

Screen flickering

Panel Self Refresh (PSR), a power saving feature used by Intel iGPUs is known to cause flickering in some instances FS#49628 FS#49371 FS#50605. A temporary solution is to disable this feature using the kernel parameter i915.enable_psr=0.

Source:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics

4 Likes

Yay! That fixed it. Thanks Anachron!

For the record, this is what I did:

• I edited /etc/default/grub using “sudo nano /etc/default/grub” and added “i915.enable_psr=0” to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line.
  • I ran “sudo update-grub” to apply those changes.
  • I rebooted
  • I verified that

That’s it. Now I’m happy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great,- happy to help.

Enjoy your framework!

1 Like

i am have the same issue witht he amd ii dont have the laptop just the main board is it the same fix

1 Like

I have the same issue here. Brand new FW, less than 24 hours old. Firefox + Youtube + AMD = occasional display flicker/black, sometimes leads to hard freeze. When display is black can still Ctrl-Tab to different Tab in FF and issue goes away. Usually navigating to a non-YT tab.

Currently having the same issue when trying to play a YouTube video on Firefox after an update.
This issue does not happen on Chromium based browsers though. So something must be broke in Firefox on AMD systems

1 Like

I’m using an FL16 with Chrome, and get flickering on some web pages, I suspect it is to do with the way the pages are formatted these days with all sorts of attempts at stopping people from disabling adverts and so on, by hiding links.

But I get it on pages like https://www.bbc.co.uk/news as I scroll down, some sections seem to induce flickering, and you scroll down a few more pixels and the flickering stops.

Hmm that’s weird. There was an update for MESA drivers that caused a corruption in video playback for me Corrupted AV1 video decoding on AMD with Mesa 24.1.4 (#11533) · Issues · Mesa / mesa · GitLab
But as for reading news web pages, I never had that issue. Maybe you should contact support about it