[SOLVED] Option to boot Windows 11 via USB for support needs only

First, I have tried to see if this topic is in the forum and cannot find it. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I had a wrecking ball moment installing Ubuntu 22.04 co-resident with Windows 11 (I bought the Windows 11 12th Gen because the config was perfect for me). I used the Ubuntu standard option to co-install with Windows. After the bitlocker fix, all went as usual (I have done this install on a Windows machine maybe a dozen times with good results.). After a couple of software install/config/reboot cycles, the boot options for Ubuntu disappeared. Windows 11 still boots, and has the smaller disk I allocated to it.

BUT, I only kept a Windows partition because I see some comments here that I may need to boot windows for some support. All I really need is Linux (and I will install Windows 11 in a virtualbox to get access to “real Excel”.)

So my use case is 99.95% Linux with a bootable Windows only for support.

Sorry for the long prolog.

Here is the QUESTION:
Can I create a bootable USB drive to run Windows 11 on the odd chance I need it for support?

Is there really a need to run native Windows 11 for support? What are the cases where I need Windows?

Thanks for your help. I will be using Linux as my daily driver OS and just need VM Windows sometimes.

Bluto

This is solved. I was able to install Windows 11 on a fast USB drive and it boots and runs fine. I did this with a slower, 150 mbps drive and it was awful The below USB drive is 300mbps write and 400 mbps read. It is working well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09WB2RPS4

My goal was to have only Linux on my Laptop and have a Windows 11 option for support.

I did use this option. I created a bootable USB drrive using Rufus and the ‘Windows to Go’ option. It boots (slowly) using a 150 mbps usb drive. I have a 400 mbps drive on order to improve performance, but it does work.

I installed Ubuntu 22.04 on the entire disk and I love my new Framework laptop. I will confess that making Virtualbox work with Windows10 was a learning curve, but done/and/done. All working.

2 Likes