[RESOLVED] How to make a bootable Windows 11 USB flash drive from linux

Hello,

I just bought the 13th intel version of the 13" model.

I installed Ubuntu without breaking a sweat, but installing Windows becomes very painful.

I tried to install Windows and some Medias are missing and it asks to search for them. I could send the picture if you want but I don’t think it is relevant for the next problem.

So I thought maybe I could update my BIOS just to make everything up to date but I can’t find a suitable tutorial on how to update my BIOS. Or at least something that is working.

I have tried : Updating BIOS on Linux but I am getting:

fwupdmgr update
Devices with no available firmware updates: 
 • SSD 980 PRO 1TB
 • System Firmware
 • UEFI Device Firmware
 • UEFI Device Firmware
 • UEFI Device Firmware
 • Fingerprint Sensor
No updatable devices

Since I can’t upgrade my BIOS I don’t know where to look. I you have any idea.

Robin,

13th Gen Intel does not have a BIOS update available at this time. There is nothing to update.

What is the problem you’re having with installing Windows? Is it during the media creation or actual installation? What is the error message (in English or text that I can copy into a translator, preferably)

1 Like

Hi @Robin_Portigliatti, welcome to the community.

The image for Windows you provided feels familiar - missing drivers, etc, unable to go further.

Were you creating the Windows bootable USB in Linux? If so, there is a lot more to it than what we do in Windows for Windows or in Linux for Linux.

This is the only method I have found actually works for creating a working Windows USB creation in Linux. Creating a bootable Windows 11 USB flash drive in Linux

3 Likes

Hello @Matt_Hartley,

Were you creating the Windows bootable USB in Linux?

Yes.

After seeing your answer I made a bootable Windows 11 USB flash drive from a Windows Laptop at a friend’s house.

Everything worked fine and dual boot too.

I didn’t know I’d need to do so much additionnal steps.

Thank you

1 Like

just to echo this statement here, the manual command way does seem to work

1 Like