[SOLVED] Please help! My Laptop won't connect to my Home Internet

Unrelated as wifi works great with the provided wireless chipset and multiple kernels on 22.04.

Ethernet expansion card:
I’m currently seeing a significant issue with the Realtek chipset in the expansion card and a fully up to date Ubuntu 22.04. Connects, disconnects. I see where it’s happening and I suspect even why in the logs. Happens as soon as I push heavy data through Ethernet.

The Ethernet expansion card works flawlessly on 22.10.

On 22.04, I have tested multiple kernels, even switched the driver being used and firmware - same results. This includes the greatest hits involving udev, kernel parameters, etc. Believe me, if it is a workaround, I have tested it. :slight_smile:

Spent a large chuck of the weekend working through it. I have one more thing I will be testing today before writing this off as a regression and a suggestion to use 22.10 for the Ethernet expansion card.

I finally got somewhere with all this. I setup my VDSL router/modem in bridge mode and bought a non-VDSL router which I then flashed with OpenWRT. Setup the PPPoE on my OpenWRT Router and now the WiFi coming from the OpenWRT router connects no problem and even the FrameWork Ethernet expansion card works too when connected to the OpenWRT router!

4 Likes

OpenWRT for the win! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The linux articles are informative, I was really inspired by your interest in bio-tech and -informatics though! If you haven’t heard of the Huberman Lab podcast, I really recommend it for a balanced approach to utilizing mindset, habits, and technology to improve your body and mind.

Also your year-in-review entry is great for someone just getting familiar with your work, like me!

Thanks for having an interest in me, and sharing the podcast! As I feel that the topics bio-tech and etc are beyond this thread’s original topic, let’s continue to talk on the forum’s message feature if you like. I sent a message to you. :grin:

1 Like

Wait, so your Ethernet EC only works when it has PPoE coming in? That… is not expected behavior. @Matt_Hartley, any thoughts? Have you seen different functionality in PPoE vs regular Ethernet standards?

Is the fact that there’s several dozen 802.3xx standards potentially contributing to some of these problems? E.g. perhaps 1Gbps connections are flawless, but 10Mbps connections cause problems… then you throw the three versions of PoE in… I’m not gonna be the guy to test 4PPoE on my card :sweat_smile:

@junaruga: I’m glad you messaged me! Let’s keep chatting!

pppoe i.e point-to-point protocol over ethernet. Not passive power over ethernet. It’s often used for authentication on residential broadband connections.

1 Like

I have never had a good experience with Realtek Ethernet devices on Linux. My Anker usb hub with Ethernet used the 8152/53 Ethernet and that just stopped working altogether. There’s a lot of posts for similar things for that specific adaptor. Doesn’t fill me with confidence that the Ethernet Expansion card is also using Realtek.

Bought an Amazon Basics USB hub with Ethernet and works no problem, probably because it’s not realtek based.

Edit: I vaguely recall that most of the issues were caused by over zealous power saving from the kernel, so it would instantly disable the Ethernet port due to power saving. Some reported TLP helped with that iirc.

ive had issues with realtek in windows as well over the years. if you put them under any sort of load they’ll drop out and they’re just generally flakey. Thats why I only use intel ethernet (or if not possible, anything that isn’t realtek).

For the Ethernet Expansion card we offer, with it connected and immediately after a drop off, look for this in journalctl --since "5 minutes ago"

usb 2-3: USB disconnect, device number 74 xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state. cdc_ncm 2-3:2.0 enx9cbf0d000e38: unregister ‘cdc_ncm’ usb-0000:00:0d.0-3, CDC NCM xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state.

If you’re seeing the above, it’s a bad card and we can help determine this with a support ticket.