[SOLVED] Trying to upgrade firmware

So I’ve held off on upgrading the firmware for a few days. Just to make sure I was not going to be the first who notices a problem :wink:

But now that I’m ready, the option is gone on pop_os?

❯ sudo fwupdmgr update
[sudo] password for mark: 
No updatable devices

When I tried this last week, I got a whole bit of text explaining the upgrade with a yes / no

I even did it multiple times, to reread the text. But today β€œNo updatable devices” ?

Was the firmware pulled or something?

Did you enable lvfs-testing repo?

Yep:

❯ fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing
╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
β•‘ Enable new remote?                                                           β•‘
╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
β•‘ The LVFS is a free service that operates as an independent legal entity and  β•‘
β•‘ has no connection with Pop!_OS. Your distributor may not have verified any   β•‘
β•‘ of the firmware updates for compatibility with your system or connected      β•‘
β•‘ devices. All firmware is provided only by the original equipment             β•‘
β•‘ manufacturer.                                                                β•‘
β•‘                                                                              β•‘
β•‘ This remote contains firmware which is not embargoed, but is still being     β•‘
β•‘ tested by the hardware vendor. You should ensure you have a way to manually  β•‘
β•‘ downgrade the firmware if the firmware update fails.                         β•‘
β•‘                                                                              β•‘
β•‘ Enabling this functionality is done at your own risk, which means you have   β•‘
β•‘ to contact your original equipment manufacturer regarding any problems       β•‘
β•‘ caused by these updates. Only problems with the update process itself        β•‘
β•‘ should be filed at https://github.com/pop-os/pop/issues.                     β•‘
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

Agree and enable the remote? [Y|n]: y
Authenticating…          [    \                                  ]
Do you want to refresh this remote now? (Requires internet connection) [Y|n]: y
Downloading…             [***************************************]

Successfully enabled and refreshed remote
❯ sudo fwupdmgr update
No updatable devices

Isn’t it super weird?

What is your Framework generation, 11 gen or 12 gen? What is the version of the current BIOS (the result of the sudo dmidecode -s bios-version)?

It’s the 11th gen

❯ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version

And p.: Today the option has returned:

❯ sudo fwupdmgr update
Devices with no available firmware updates: 
 β€’ UEFI Device Firmware
 β€’ UEFI Device Firmware
 β€’ WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0
╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
β•‘ Upgrade System Firmware from 0.0.3.16 to 0.0.3.17?                           β•‘
╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
β•‘ Due to an incompatibility between our BIOS and recent versions of fwupdmgr   β•‘
β•‘ please set DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true in /etc/fwupd/uefi_capsule.conf   β•‘
β•‘ before applying this update.                                                 β•‘
β•‘ Updating the BIOS firmware will erase NVRAM boot variables. Press F3 during  β•‘
β•‘ boot to manually select a desired boot entry after the update has completed  β•‘
β•‘ if you run into this issue.                                                  β•‘
β•‘ Changes in this release                                                      β•‘
β•‘ β€’ Add setup menu option in advanced tab to enable standalone operation       β•‘
β•‘ mode. This will modify onboard LED behavior to skip presence checks for      β•‘
β•‘ chassis open, display, battery and C cover.                                  β•‘
β•‘ β€’ Change low battery power LED behavior from red to white.                   β•‘
β•‘ Fixes in this release                                                        β•‘
β•‘ β€’ Improve battery life when HDMI/DP expansion cards are attached but no      β•‘
β•‘ display is connected.                                                        β•‘
β•‘ β€’ Add support for Capsule on Disk for future updates to improve LVFS         β•‘
β•‘ compatibility.                                                               β•‘
β•‘ β€’ Fix pressing F12 key during boot will system hang when BIOS quiet boot     β•‘
β•‘ is disabled.                                                                 β•‘
β•‘ β€’ Correct BIOS setup item TPM availability missing word.                     β•‘
β•‘ Laptop must remain plugged into a power source for the duration of the       β•‘
β•‘ update to avoid damage.                                                      β•‘
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

Perform operation? [Y|n]: 

Without me doing anything. So it must have been either pop_os or lvfs I guess… Updating now.

1 Like

After enabling lvfs-testing, a manual refresh operation would have pulled the new BIOS option right away. In your case, it auto-refreshed at some point later.

That was not this case though. The lfvs-testing was already on and I had already received this same note in the terminal before.