[Solved] Two batteries reported in acpi -b

Hi, the new FrameWork (i7-1280p with no-Vpro wifi) has been working very well on Linux Artix (except the occasional freezings, although they became much less frequent after the enable_psr=0), but I have one question out of curiosity:

why are there two batteries (the first one looking like a dummy though) when I launch acpi -b?

Here is my output:

$ acpi -b
Battery 0: Discharging, 0%, rate information unavailable
Battery 1: Charging, 60%, charging at zero rate - will never fully charge.

The “60% will never fully charge” is normal as I configured the BIOS to max out at 60%, because I am always plugged-in.

I don’t think it is specific to the 12th-gen FrameWork, but it’s just that I noticed now!

So, what would be this mysterious “battery 0”?

Could be the RTC battery I suppose, that would be the coin cell battery on the board. Not sure what else it could be.

1 Like

@GhostLegion

That would make sense!

Do you have the same output for acpi -b?

Also I’m worried that it is allegedly completely discharged lol…

@Mapleleaf That command doesn’t work for me on Fedora Linux. I check in system info under batteries and I only see Bat_1. I think it’s a glitch tbh, I can’t imagine why there would be enough smarts to detect the battery but not enough to interact with it.

Do you have a wireless mouse or keyboard or any other device connected to the laptop with a battery in it?

I have a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard connected and that command shows 3 batteries present with the laptop last like in your case; mine is limited in the BIOS settings to 65% as, like yourself, I am usually plugged into mains power.

acpi -b
Battery 0: Discharging, 0%, rate information unavailable
Battery 1: Discharging, 0%, rate information unavailable
Battery 2: Charging, 65%, 47:18:16 until charged

I have looked into this a bit with the “upower -d” command and that shows a bit more info including details of the mouse and keyboard.

2 Likes

@yetiman_64

Yes!! That’s it, you found it. Thank you.

It’s my mouse, a MX Master 3.

2 Likes