[SOLVED] When I boot Pop_OS!, mouse is missing and inputs are weird

My Pop_OS! laptop crashed, and when I rebooted it started acting very weird. The disk cryptdata prompt works fine, but when I enter that and the OS boots the mouse pointer doesn’t appear. I can see the screen reacting to mouseovers, but clicking doesn’t seem to do anything.

When I get into the system, there’s a keyboard that pops up at the bottom of the screen, like it’s a touch screen.

The mouse also isn’t working right (it’s still invisible, and when I mouse over text boxes they fill with repeated keys like “mmmmmmmmm” even though I’m not touching the keyboard). Also it hasn’t detected or connected to the WiFi network. And when I reboot on the command line, I get a bunch of errors.

I have no idea how to fix this. Any ideas?

I would get in contact with support if you have not already. For Linux-specific support, Matt or Loell can likely try to help. While you wait for them to get back to you, I would try booting a live usb to see if the issue is OS related or if your hardware is causing issues.

1 Like

I resolved it. The key was all those BPF: Invalid name errors. Seems like that happens when the on-board kernel and the in-memory kernel get out of sync, although I suspect it was something related but not quite that. I just needed to get to a prompt and run sudo dpkg --configure -a to fix it.

2 Likes