Some competition SlimBook 16

Linux 16" laptop with similar spec
Noticed the logo also similar gear.

1 Like

It’s an interesting machine. Sounds like it could be a bit cheaper. It’s nice to see more Linux options being offered.

Obviously, a lot about what makes the FW 16 special is absent.

2 Likes

I had the Slimbook 14" for my daughter. It is an amazing little machine. Sadly, it didn’t like the full glass of sugarwine my daughter spilled on it. We manage to get it to run for 2 more years with hick-ups, in the end we couldn’t save it RIP …
Note that that little company is amazing. They do really good support :ok_hand:
They tried to save it themselves in the end, but corrosion had taken out some connectors on the display output at the CPU level. So no more display possible, not even external worked anymore.

That is just the KDE logo.

3 Likes

That’s good to hear. I like the idea of Linux becoming more popular.

It’s interesting to me that so many people consider Linux support a primary attribute for FW. Work keeps me firmly in the Windows world, so Linux never really enters my mind; the hurdles aren’t worth the effort. I see modularity/upgradability as the primary attribute of a FW, and from that perspective, I would not have considered this Lenovo to be competition. It is a cool company, with better (much) than average support and it does have similar specs, just not a device I would have turned to in the absence of FW. It looks to be visually inspired by a MB Pro…

Working for an international hardware manufacturer I am still working under linux.
Last time big boss asked me why I am under Linux, my answer was: I troubleshoot our software installations which all happen in the cloud under linux, and I write code for linux. Why would I need any Windows to do so?

Remember guys - practically the entire cloud runs under Linux.
The answer to the question why we need Windows - would be: We don´t.
The question why we “use” Windows is: Because they have great Marketing and use ignorance of people to sell their products.
Simple as that.

The point I was attempting (and apparently failing) to make is that of the list of attributes that define FW laptops, I would have placed Linux support pretty far down the list. I’ve installed Linux on virtually every computer I’ve ever owned (when it gets replaced, I can just use it as a toy). I’ve never encountered one that can’t run Linux, so I would not have thought to use that as a selection criterion; in my experience, they can virtually all run Linux.

You troubleshoot software installations that run on Linux => you run Linux locally.
Perhaps “practically the entire cloud” runs on Linux (although debatable), but practically all business software runs on Windows.
100% of my client base uses the same ERP, which only runs on Windows (server and client) and only works with MS SQL Server (which, until recently, only ran on Windows) => to reproduce my client’s environments, I need Windows. Sure, I could run Linux with a Windows VM, but what does that gain me? You could also run Linux in a VM on a Windows host, but again, why would you?

AWS is probably the largest cloud provider, and EC2 accounts for over half of its revenue. A not-insignificant percentage of those EC2 instances are running Windows. So, I would also argue that the cloud is not overwhelmingly Linux-based (at least not at the point that most of us interface with it). The entirety of computer usage certainly isn’t Linux-based. That’s not due to ignorance, and to say otherwise, is, well… ignorant.

Perhaps if the Linux community were a little less smug about the superiority of their favored OS (an OS that has poorer hardware support, poorer benchmarks and battery life when it can support the hardware, and a less-unified user experience, but, hey, it’s not from Microsoft!!) maybe we would finally get that “year of Linux” that we’ve been promised is around the corner every year for two decades.

Sorry for the thread hijack. That was not my intention.

1 Like