Sudden death, internal keyboard is not registered, irregular power button behaviour, rarely boots

Which Linux distro are you using?
openSUSE Tumbleweed 20240820
Which release version?
(if rolling release without a release version, skip this question)
rolling
(If rolling release, last date updated?)
day before yesterday
Which kernel are you using?
Kernel Version: 6.10.5-1-default (64-bit)
Which BIOS version are you using?
BIOS v.20
Which Framework Laptop 13 model are you using? (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series 1, 13th Gen Intel® Core™ , 12th Gen Intel® Core™, 11th Gen Intel® Core™)
Intel i7-1165G7
gen 11? not sure.

==============================================================

What happens
At random times a sudden death: screens black, power LED dark.
Sometimes while starting to type, or move mouse (likely coincidence, or USB causes death).
But also when no user action (AFK) (=> not USB, or irregular cause?).

Shutdown from shell: works.
Shutdown by power button: no reaction.
Shutdown by widgets: shutdown begins, then stops at black screens with reactive cursor.

Internal keyboard: dead, nothing registers in xev
Trackpad: dead

Boot seldom works. Most times there is no change on screen lighting, then quickly the sudden death. Fan still running.
F2 and F12: only from external keyboard.
At irregular times the display is somewhat brighter than total black, and after the usual time displays the LUKS prompt, after entering password (external keyboard) a regular boot and login.

Wake from sleep and hibernation: OK.

The system
Main (system) partition is btrfs.
Swap partition of 31,nn GB.
BIOS v.20

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20240820
KDE Plasma Version: 6.1.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.5.0
Qt Version: 6.7.2
Kernel Version: 6.10.5-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11

Processors: 8 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 31,1 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics
Manufacturer: Framework
Product Name: Laptop
System Version: AB

Temperature was set to reach maximal 80°C with TLP and BIOS settings before testing defaults: that turbo thing disabled, there are more switches to cap performance, same. Most of the time much lower often 20…40°C, with spikes to 80°C.

Bios and TLP: there were no changes shortly before onset of the symptoms above.

Tried to diagnose and fix
memtest86+: 3 runs passed.
BIOS on optimal defaults: no change
Attempt to reinstall BIOS from fresh download (checksum OK): fails. Its script starts, soon stops with get BootNextTime: failed <something> not found (forgot what). But if there was a time with no issues, it’s unlikely that BIOS memory is flawed, also the rare OK boots point away from that.
Mainboard reset: no change.
Check connectors of keyboard and trackpad: all were OK.

I guess this is a mainboard issue.

Is there anything I could test to zero in on the root cause?

History
For a long time everything OK. Sudden death began to happen first in late June. Frequency increased, yesterday several times.
I had a water damage at the end of July, a big splash from ceiling near laptop, but not on it. Sudden death happened before.
To be sure no water came inside I opened the FW and inspected every opening (including the actual keyboard with its 80 screws) for water traces. None found.
Even if water had reached there, that that the power button reacts when laptop is shut down, but not when it’s running (logged in) and the sudden death are not explained.

The original order was a DIY.
This is a replacement mainboard that was “ordered” on 11 Dec 2023, at today ~8 1/2 months ago.
Is this still under warranty?
Here in Germany, replacement parts from warranty have their own warranty period, usually 1 or 2 years.
What is the law for Framework?

1 Like

Your device is still under warranty based on your order time. You should be contacting Framework directly.

When you hold the power button down does the machine power off?

To me your kernel and possible changes to the system you’ve made seem to be the likely culprit of your situation.

If you would, could you try booting a Fedora live USB. Out of the box Fedora supports the 11th gen system completely. My guess is that everything works perfectly fine under Fedora. If this is the case it is an OS software issue, and not a Framework issue.

1 Like

I tried, up to a minute. Normal time would be 12 seconds, I believe.

I’ll give it a try. Had completely forgoten the OS. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I tried with Fedora 39 of Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-39-1.5.iso. Impossible that I broke it.

Result: internal keyboard dead, power button without effect.

1 Like

Will do now. Thanks for the quick reply

1 Like

No worries, and thanks for the due diligence. Seems like contacting Framework is the right thing to do here.

1 Like