Suggested improvements for the next FW16 mainboard

This thread is just to capture thoughts on what would be nice to have as part of the next FW16 mainboard design.

1. Better self diagnosis at BIOS startup, and before enough ram is present to display something on the screen.

I think a major enabler here would be a user accessible serial port, so the BIOS can output more useful info rather that led flashes. This could also be expanded to have a command line access to the bios settings rather than a gui.
Essentially design in some features that make diagnosing hardware problems more efficient when the display does not work and there is no ram in the unit.
Some how avoid the ram shuffle diagnosis and instead output a serial message saying which ram chip is the faulty one. Similarly for pcie problems.

1. somehow reduce the number of screws needed to get into the laptop.

2. improve the hardware so that diagnosis of what is wrong by the fw support team is more efficient and quicker to do. This should reduce the effort needed by support people and also result in quicker turn arounds and better MTTR.
    For example, for the FW13, there might be a problem with it waking up too early from sleep and the wake cause is ACPI SCI. We need more diagnostic information to know which device is causing the wakeup, e.g. Which of keyboard, touchpad, lid sensor, power button, fingerprint sensor etc. Is causing the wakeup problem.

3. Somehow be able to turn off more devices to reduce power needed during sleep or idle. For example, be able to force power off of USB devices, even if the devices themselves are buggy and won’t sleep properly.

4. If screw break off, or damage threads, make it easy for end users to replace the screw or replace the hole the screw goes into in case its thread is damaged. Rather than needing to return it to FW.

5. any others

Note: I have sent an email to FW support with a link to this thread for their “suggestion” box. So no need for anyone else to mention these items to FW support.

4 Likes

There are obvious technical restrictions involved here, but I’d like this as well if it’s feasible.

2 Likes

The standoffs for the SSDs either need making from something stronger than brass or replacing with the rotating latch type. Too many have arrived from the factory damaged.

3 Likes

A better scheme would be to have the bush that the current screw screws into be a shoulder on the screw so that the head of the screw has some meat around where the Torx imprint is indented. Then a bush underneath that is what the screw engages in.

An alternative to this would be for the current bush to be half the height, and a half height shoulder on the screw. This would probably work better as there is then part of the bush to engage with the card so you can be sure it is fully into the socket (like happens now) before it is screwed down, but if part of the bush is a shoulder on the screw then we still have sufficient meat under the screw head to stop the head breaking off.

1 Like

The screw head breaking off is due to defective screws, there haven’t been as many reports of those. The standoffs they screw into are made of brass and too much torque on them or badly made thread in one and the screw tears the threads out. If they were made of steel and chrome plated or even stainless steel they’d be far stronger.

The rotating latch to lock the SSD in would be even better as no screws are needed to hold the SSD in.

This suggestion does not involve any part of the mainboard.
I actually like it this way, as it’s a kind of anti-tinkering protection.

A real improvement would be offering two full size 2280 M.2 ports to avoid those inferior 2230 drives or the need of a workaround.

Another improvement would be offering USB4, Display and Charging options on more Expansion Card ports for further flexibility.

1 Like

They screw the screws up much too tight in Taiwan. . That doesn’t help.

I write this from the perspective of a visually impaired user.

Conventional socket for finger print reader rather than ZIF sockets. They can be fragile.
Clip for finger print cable left turn rather than gluing to the board

Clip to hold wifi antennas in place whilst working with the wifi card
Template to aid connection of the wifi antennas. This would allow the MHF4 socket to be positioned precisely before pressing down.
Supply the wifi with a front end fitted that presents an easier form of removable connection

Ramps on mainboard to aid insertion of webcam and display connectors which would guide them into position as they are lowered
Wells around top left and top middle mainboard screws to aid positioning of these two particularly difficult screws. These are dificult because they are crowded areas and it’s difficult to clearly locate the screw holes by touch.
Alternatively temporary plastic templates positioned against the surrounding structures to provide a guide for the screws to be inserted
Not so important but maybe templates for insertion of SSD screws that could line up against any convenient structure, even some distance from the SSD
A few spare 2mm screws with each laptop; use for SSD and mainboard

Button to disconnect battery from system instead of needing to disconnect through the BIOS, for removal of battery or for tinkering with the mainboard
If a battery were swapped whilst away from an AC socket, how would the laptop be reactivated? You’d need a power bank in place of AC power to be able to boot so the battery could reconnect.

Split level BIOS and EC firmware for recovery after failed or incorrect flashing and for the benefit of BIOS and EC tinkerers.
This would use a front end piece of code which would switch to a previous firmware version during boot if the previous boot attempt failed to complete successfully.
In the absence of the above, Framework could provide remote test facilities for BIOS and embedded controller work for projects that were considered to be of particular value to the community

Beeps for the visually impaired that can be turned on from BIOS:
Beeps to indicate progress during boot for confidence
Beeps to indicate some of the main error states
Beeps when navigating BIOS menus
Beeps during chassis open switch reset rather than lights

4 Likes

USB external enclosure connection randomly breaks, sometimes multiple times a day.

Audio expansion card generates continuous hum when laptop is turned off. It stops immediately when it’s turned on.

Audio expansion card often doesn’t initialise correctly such that command prompt file completion tab press does not produce any sound.

Ethernet port that doesn’t stick out

Quieter fan / different fan curves. The machine becomes too hot.

easier opening expansion bay.

Mid plate, interposer and expansion bay removal could be easier.

f2, f3 or del to enter BIOS so I don’t have to remember which it is.

speaking BIOS and embedded controllor status reporting for the visually impaired.

Long t5 Torx bit.
Stronger magnetic bit to hold onto the screw.

Tactile distinction between the two wifi antenna cables.

Special keyboard keys that can be detected by BIOS immediately on power-up rather than needing to spam f2. Possibility of booting much faster?

A small battery or maybe external UPS to allow for power interuptions without loss of work and allow for time and date to be maintained when on the road.

Stub that obstructs access to the left side of the finger print reader connector increases the chances of damage.

Changable RAM headers in case of damage.
Second level finger print reader connector ZIF much like the expansion cards in case of damage.

Would like to be able to get the bezel off more easily. Without long finger nails I really can’t get the thing off.

Would like to be able to get the bezel off more easily. Without long finger nails I really can’t get the thing off.

I use the spudger end of the framework screwdriver (well i did until i lost the screwdriver, i now just use a spudger from an ifixit kit

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying you like having something that disincentives you from messing around with it too much?

I’d be worried about leaving an indent in it.

my mainboard mount screw for SSD had some flash in it requiring the entire mainboard to be replaced. These are frustrating production issues but a rotating latch lock would be excellent and simplify some of the production possibly resulting in fewer issues/returns…

1 Like

In case someone wants to mess around with the innards of your laptop.

That’s not a part of my threat model, so I see now why I was confused. Thanks for clarifying.

Ethernet port not sticking out would be more a thing of a different design for the RJ45 I/O module, wouldn’t it?
I would also like to see a module that combines one USB-C (for charging) and headphone port(s) (plural so with a socket on each side of the USB it would accomodate for placing the module on either side of the laptop and with the headphone cable not getting in the way of the charger plug. Speaking of which, if that dedicated charger/audio module had the USB port somewhat recessed so the plug wouldn’t stand out that much would be nice…)

And why is it that port 5 (middle right) doesn’t support HDMI/DP ?

1 Like

SOC got a limited amount of display out pins and they chose to allocate them like that. If there was an easy way to get more I am sure all ports would have display outputs.

At least on the 16 they put the one with display on the side it would not interfere with the mouse hand for most of the population, on the 13 it’s on the other side.

Adjustable fan curves is my big request. The fans take too long to spin up after the load increases, cpu temperature goes to 100 degrees.

Hugh

1 Like

I like the idea of additional protections for the BIOS to allow booting. I think another interesting thing for the BIOS would be a dual BIOS setup like you would see on higher end desktop motherboards.

I love the idea of the beeps at least for POST! Reminds me of the old days. I personally would disable beeps while moving within the BIOS and possibly chassis detection, but I think it would certainly be nice to have the option for these. I would also like to have a little screen for POST errors like you would on a high-end desktop motherboard and have it easily visible with the keyboard removed (incase someone doesn’t want the beeps). Like maybe a cutout in the mid plate. Something like this Q-CODE showing through the mid plate would be great. Then there can be a reference on the FW site for the error codes and the beeps for easier troubleshooting. Maybe a QR code next to it for quick lookup of the code.

Definitely would like toolless m.2 latch or something rather than a screw.

Oh, I would also suggest better thermal management. Although I don’t think that’s solely with the mainboard. I know there’s been a bunch of complaints on that front. Personally, I’ve noticed the bottom on mine getting pretty hot. A bit warmer on my lap than my previous Razer laptop. The temps are all fine in HWmonitor (no thermal throttling or anything), but the bottom of the laptop is definitely being used like a heat sink.

I would also like all the ports to have the same capabilities. I understand that’s a limitation of the CPU. I’d be ok if there was a way to make it so that any port could have a full USB4 even if it’s not all of the ports at the same time. For an example we currently only have 3 ports that support DP. If we could have it so that any 3 of the 6 ports could be used for DP that would be awesome. Although that might not be feasible given those traces would need to go to each port. It would probably be easier if they all just supported the same stuff rather than switching between ports.

While on the subject of ports I’d like to see the most current USB4 version. Whatever is equivalent or closest to equivalent to Thunderbolt 5. Or even an Intel mainboard with Thunderbolt 5 support.