(Suggestion Needed) Random shutdown and freeze problem (Windows)

My system below, got the education license from graduate school.

I think it could be a BIOS issue since we are on different Windows 11 versions. All we can do is report to Framework. You can change the setting to never sleep when plugged in or just shutdown before bed.

Edition Windows 11 Education
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎8/‎29/‎2022
OS build 22621.521
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0
Processor i5- 1240p
Batch 2
Drive SK hynix Gold P31 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280
RAM Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (or 2933MHz or 2666MHz) Laptop Memory CT2K16G4SFRA32A

Sure, I will do it tonight and let’s get connected here.

I have updated the SSD firmware and I’m using Crucial memory they suggest. Hopefully it gets escalated.

It can be a few things, one maybe more people use linux rather than windows. Also, I’m docked 6 out of 7 days a week. Maybe people just shutdown and never rely on sleep when plugged in.

Yeah similar to yours. I put my hardware info in the main post just now.

Let me set it to never sleep and have a try.

By the way, do you this issue:
(2) in my case, from Sept 5 - 9 the laptop froze no response, while I was typing an email in the browser.

How frequently the issue appears on your side?

I updated my chart above with the hardware, we are using the same RAM, different HD’s. I haven’t had the freezing issue you’ve described. I have tried the never sleep option which works but it’s not ideal for power consumption.

For the past few days where I switched sleep from never to 1 hour when plugged in, it happens daily.

Looks like we aren’t the only ones: Preventing Hibernation - #5 by Connor_Bunch

Hi, I think it is different:
“Currently, if I leave my laptop in a sleep state, then when I come back to it I will find that it has completely powered off (hibernated)”
In his case, it is hibernated, all apps are still on. In our case, all apps are closed, like shutdown, which is very harmful.

ok, I found another one, I’m still not sure how to “fix” this issue though:

Yeah, this one is the same. Do you think it is a software issue or a hardware issue? It is 9/19/2022 now. We need to make sure we did not get a bad unit. Otherwise, we need to ask for an exchange or return it.

I really do not want to return it. I am a previous mac user, now I hate Apple solder SSD on the motherboard. So Mac is not an option for me. Compared with other Windows laptops, like XPS 13, ThinkPad carbon x1, etc, the Framework laptop is actually pretty good, in terms of price and the performance I can get.

1 Like

In my case, it sometimes happens two days once, three days once, or four days once.

I won’t be returning it, I’d rather just leave it on sleep = never when plugged in. I’ll work with Framework to see if they can find anything, maybe someone here has found the fix we just haven’t found it.

I’m also coming from a Mac and I can’t go back to MacOS now for work.

1 Like

Great, let’s keep each other updated.

1 Like

Just an FYI this happened to me with laptop up and running while I was actively using it. I shut it down in between uses and overnight.

When it shut off on me, I had it plugged in, and had been using it for approx. 30 minutes.

I don’t want to return either, I love the laptop, but I also am having issues with the USB-A port providing power but not connecting to my keyboard, and another time the screen shut off/went black but the comp did not shut down. Just really weird stuff that never happened to me in my years of X1 ownership.

I would lose $200 returning it (on memory and SSD) but like you said I need reliability and honestly while I wasn’t expecting great battery life, it’s just annoying that I always have to be plugged in.

Yeah, I am experiencing both: (1) freezing while I was actively using it. (2) shutdown while it was either sleeping or just locked by win + L.

Wondering if you all are part of a cluster of isolated issues.

Each of you should open up a support ticket with @FrameworkSupport, and refer the ticket to this thread. @TheTwistgibber might need to take a closer look?

There’s currently another thread regarding instant power loss as well…might be related.

@Jacob_Ma mentioned that in his case, it doesn’t seem like hibernation as all previously opened apps are lost. Jacob, what was Windows’ Event Viewer say, anything around kernel lost power?

Hi @seadub ,

We’re curious if you’ve previously submitted a support ticket for your current problem. If you haven’t already, we encourage you to do so.

We will be waiting for you in the support channel. Thanks

1 Like

While I appreciate being tagged into threads, I should not be used as a proxy for our existing Support team. Customers should always file Support tickets when experiencing issues as that is where our resourcing is focused. We’re under heavily load right now due to Batch 2 and Batch 3 shipments, so we kindly ask for your patience while we work through the queue. I have quite a bit on my plate right now as I’m responsible for multiple areas here at Framework and can chime in when I have cycles, but right now, I’m not the best resource to be pinging on one-off issues at the moment.

1 Like

Understood. Just wanted to tag you for awareness should things / any of the related tickets get bubble up to you.

1 Like

I opened a support ticket myself, just to catalog it.

1 Like

Sept 18, 2022 11PM, I closed the lid of the laptop (make laptop go to sleep) and put into my backpack, goes from library to home.
Around 3 hours later. When I open it, the laptop is completely shutdown, not hibernate.

Do you mean error 41?