Laptop shuts down when it should stay in sleep

I have all my windows power management settings dialed in correctly. I have it set to go to sleep when I close the lid, but if I leave it closed too long and open it back up, it will be completely shut down. Not a deal breaker since it boots up fast as is, but I’m wondering if there’s a setting somewhere I missed that will prevent it from shutting down completely.

Anyone else had this issue?

1 Like

Is it shutting down or hibernating?

1 Like

From what I can tell it’s shutting down. As in, I have to press the power button and it goes through the whole boot up process with the framework logo and the Windows lock screen. I don’t have anything in the power settings set to hibernate, just sleep.

I also notice when I do close the lid, I can hear the fan running faintly (occasionally) and the speakers made noise when I unpaired some bluetooth headphones. I don’t think I’ve noticed that on most laptops I’ve used in the past and it’s leading me to believe it’s not actually going to sleep when I close the lid.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean anything, though. Hibernation will usually power-off the computer, so the easiest way to tell if you’re resuming from hibernation is if all of your programs are open to how they were when you turn the computer back on.

The reason I asked is that I believe Windows has switched to “Modern Standby” by default, which will automatically hibernate your computer after suspending it for some time.

Hmm, this may suggest that in fact it is turning off when it runs out of battery (rather than hibernating as I had suspected earlier). One way you can check is to make note of the IP address, put it to “sleep”, and try pinging that IP address from another device on the network (usually easier with laptops/desktops than with phones). If you can still ping it, that might suggest that the computer hasn’t actually gone to sleep.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll definitely give this a shot when I’m home later.

1 Like

Ok so I can confirm that the laptop isn’t properly going to sleep. I had the lid closed for about 10 minutes and the speakers made Windows alert noises about 6 or 7 minutes in. I’m pretty unfamiliar with this particular issue, so if there’s a power setting I don’t know about then I’d appreciate any pointers on fixing it.

1 Like

Usually this means something you are running is preventing WIndows from sleeping. Games can do this as well as many utility programs.

1 Like

None at all. Not even connected to power.

Only thing I can think of is the HDMI expansion card as Windows picks it up as a USB device.

1 Like

It’s also not specifically a Windows thing, actually. I’m having similar issues and I’m on an Arch Linux derivative.

1 Like

Modern standby keeps the cpu active at a very low frequency ~200mhz, and can play sound, etc.

On windows and on AC, you can put your system to standby and it may wake up and do activities such as windows update. This is OS specificed behavior.

As mentioned previously in the thread, if you put your system to sleep in windows, and leave it for a while, windows will hibernate after the battery drops 5%, this is also OS specific. Linux will stay in modern standby forever until the battery gets too low.

1 Like

Unless you use suspend-then-hibernate, which will suspend, then hibernate after a user-specified period of time. It’s the closest we have to the default Windows behavior.

1 Like

I thought I was going crazy. Running Arch and on battery my machine should sleep/suspend after 10 minutes of inactivity. However, I’m noticing that sometimes it’ll immediately attempt to hibernate after the suspend. The problem being that I haven’t quite figured out how to get the resume from hibernate working so it effectively is just shutting down the machine. When it happens it’s typically reproduce-able until I do a proper shutdown and reboot.

1 Like