The Benchmark Thread - Hard Drive

I bought another SDD and will use it to test Linux builds until I can move back to Linux full time. (All 3 of my other laptops are running Linux)
This is EXT4 and NOT encrypted.

Everything but SDD is purchased from FrameWork
DIY Edition
CPU: Intel Core i7-1165G7
WiFi: Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro
Storage: 1TB - SK hynix Gold P31 SSD NVMe
Memory: 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
Operating System: EndeavourOS BUILD_ID=2021.08.27
Kernel: 5.15.5
File System: EXT4
Encrypted: NO
Benchmark: KDiskMark 2.2.1

1 Like

@Xavier_Jiang
My benchmark numbers are due to BTRFS and encryption. I just uploaded a non-encrypted EXT4 version for you. The new numbers are probably more what one would consider ā€œnormal.ā€ The SN850 appears to be almost 2x faster than the P31. (Which is on par and expected.)

2 Likes

Hello.

My framework just arrived, and Iā€™m finding the storage drives slower than expected.

Batch 5. i5 1135G7. 32 gigs of ram. Windows 10.

Iā€™ve got a 1TB SK Hynix P31 and the 1TB expansion slot.
Iā€™ve been testing things out by moving 26 gigs of video files around, and according to the windows 10 file transfer box, I seem to be averaging 500 MB/second moving files from one internal drive to the other.

Moving files from my CFe card to the internal drive goes at about 700MB/sec.
500MB/sec to move them from the CFe onto the expansion card.
My XQD card moves data at about 400 MB/sec.

I was expecting more from all these drives, and A LOT more from that internal drive.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Did you load and run the benchmark?

I seem to be averaging 500 MB/second moving files from one internal drive to the other.

Framework only has one internal drive. Could you elaborate on this?

Just speculating, you are getting numbers that indicate a bottle neck. You have many irons in the fire of your current tests, because you are not controlling your variables. Please run the benchmark and report your findings.

Oh, and PLEASE post your system specs and the size/benchmark of that Framework expansion card. I am sure many here would love to start getting benchmarks for that. Donā€™t forget to share the benchmark for the P31 as well! Also indicate if you are using bitlocker, please!

1 Like

I meant the internal drive and the expansion card. Both 1 TB.

EDIT: The benchmarking software is giving me very different results than the windows file transfer box; far more inline with what everyone is posting.

DIY Edition
CPU: Intel Core i5-1135G7
WiFi: Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro
Storage: 1TB - SK hynix Gold P31 SSD NVMe
Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
Operating System: Windows 10
File System: NTFS
Encrypted: NO

And here is the 1TB expansion slot. This one is exFAT:

Itā€™s strange how the benchmarking software is giving me these results, yet when Iā€™m actually moving real files, my results are different.

Here are the real-world speeds Iā€™m seeing:

2 Likes

Moving various files around will always be slower than synthetic benchmarks.

The OS and the drive controller have to do various operations in order to actually create files and that can slow things down considerably. If you had 1000 1KB files it would be much slower to transfer them than a single 1MB file.

It doesnā€™t look like you have a problem.

3 Likes

In addition, copying files between media will always take the slowest rate. So your overhead before NTFS is only about 1000MB/s. Add in multiple file handling, the overhead of NTFS, and the overhead of USB, and 500MB/s doesnā€™t sound too bad IMO. This also doesnā€™t take into consideration the possible I/O penalties due to any file fragmentation.
In this case, since your CFe card is faster, I would say that your bottleneck is mostly the USB > expansion card.

Example: From your benchmarks the fastest possible speed Expansion > SSD is 1028.62, the fastest possible speed SSD > Expansion is 1027.41. This is all before any overhead.

4 Likes

Configuration

• CPU: IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-1135G7
  • WiFi: IntelĀ® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vProĀ®
  • Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200

Windows 11 Pro.

WD Black SN770 SSD.

The temperature during this benchmark did not exceed 70 C.

1 Like

The pure awesomeness of the SN850 1TB in Windows 11!

1gb

Max temp was 60c

2 Likes

Low4K seems a bit disappointing, given the 32-bit 4K.

Double the low 4K not too bad.

Perhaps I should run crystal disk on my Optane 32GB stick at some point.

Remember, system boot time and application launch is primarily low 4K (rapid reads of small files in different locations).

1 Like

The latency is fantastic but thats about it really. I used them for dedicated Pagefile drives.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure but they only have 150TB write endurance ā€“ which is a lot, but rather finite. Iā€™m worrying that pagefile might be a bit too ā€¦ well, frequent.
A hibefile is very good. It can probably last a decade or two. Temp file too. If only you can tell Windows to allocate that.

Currently mine act as a ā€œglorified thumbdriveā€ because, frankly, I have no system with the slots. Itā€™s also a 1st-gen accelerator stick and I bought it when they first appeared on market. They now seem to have higher-capacity ones (with maybe 3 or 4 chips)

2 Likes

Hmm well not a issue if you got plenty of ram. Plus it only has to last 3-5 years and it will be replaced. Itā€™s just a $20 SSD on Ebay now. :grinning:

Having a dedicated Pagefile drive is pretty ā€˜enthusiastā€™ so itā€™s not going to be there forever. People worry about SSD wear too much I feel. But that latency makes it perfect IMO. But whether youā€™d notice it over a standard SATA SSDā€¦hmmm.

3 Likes

I tested my SN850 with fio:
Edit: I removed it, since the initial post wants kdiskmark benchmarks, so I will provide some later.

1 Like

Somewhere in all that mumbo jumbo are the numbers I take it? :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

@Jason_Dagless
Thank you for the hint, here is a kdiskmark benchmark.

HD: SN850 2TB
Memory: 64GB
File system: Ext4
Encrypted: No

Since the benchmark is very short, my drive did not exceed 45C.
In a longer benchmark run my drive gets to 85C and throttles.

3 Likes

Yes I am believing that it have drive cache optimization for low 4K writes as the read is more than 4x as fast as a read

Which should be ā€œnormal behaviorā€ for SSDs like this, but itā€™s cool nevertheless to see it actually work. Good job, WD.

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Ext4, unencrypted
i5-1135G7

Fedora 36:
Screenshot

Windows 10:

1 Like

I needed a bigger SSD and treated myself to the new SK hynix P41

HD: SK Hynix Platinum P41
Memory: 1x16GB
File system: Ext4
Encrypted: YES: LUKS 512 bit aes-xts-plain

2 Likes

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, i5-1240P, Kubuntu 22.04 (kernel 5.15.0)

Ext4 unencrypted

btrfs unencrypted

Disappointing btrfs read performance, as noted at BTRFS Read Performance Issues. Fingers cross Linux v6.0 fares better.