The Keyboard

I was asking for that here: Not so thin laptop

I guess there’s a bigger chance to have it done as a community project.

1 Like

sadly the point on opening is a good one and I frequenty have my screen open past the 100 degree mark

Thank you. I will look for a wired version with all those keys and I should be good for now.

EDIT: Not finding a wired version. Anyone know of one?

Just adding my support for this as well. I’d really like to see multiple top-cover designs come out in the future to allow users to choose what is important to them for keyboard layout.

7 Likes

I’ll jump on board with this idea, as well. Heccin miss my regular-height arrow keys. I can wait, though. Definitely more important to spread these machines across more of the planet, first.

3 Likes

Yes 1000%!!!

If we have to have half hight arrow keys 3 things:

1. Curve the inner edges so you can feel and more easily press the key you want, current setup is just bad.

2. Keep the keys the same size as each other.

3. Make them 2/3s instead of 1/2 hight.

+1 the Fn lock light

A very similar size KB with a much better layout IMO

Edit: Made a mock-up or two :slight_smile:

8 Likes

To prevent half-height up/down and to add pgUp pgDown, the pgUp / pgDown can be put on aroung the up key.

fujitsu e743 keyboard

6 Likes

Hello everyone, I made the diagram of what the Brazilian Portuguese keyboard can be for the laptop Framework, using as a reference any ISO keyboard from the Framework itself so that the keyboard fits perfectly in its place. I don’t know if this is where I post this to request this keyboard as I made a similar post 4 days ago and never got any response.

1 Like

Hello Vlad. This thread started 1.5 years ago with a Framework employee writing about the design of the Framework keyboard, and since then it’s been mainly Framework customers (or fans) discussing what they like or don’t like in keyboards.

As far as I know, this is not an official support channel, so Framework may not necessarily respond.

You may get more of a response from Framework in the “Framework Support” forum, where there is already a topic requesting keyboard layouts: What keyboard options will be available? - #69 by joe_skinner .

Finally, you can always buy a blank keyboard an a label printer, and make a custom keyboard with any labels you want on it.

3 Likes

As I didn’t see another response to this, and there is a reason for the position: I wanted to point out: your keyboard has an ISO layout, and in the ISO layout, primary group characters go on the left, and shifted characters go on top. It’s not clear to me whether there is an exception for keytops that have only a primary, shifted character shown, but the usual place for those would be in the top left, and that’s what the Framework keyboard and a number of other keyboards do.

1 Like

Cannot edit previous post but I wanted to put the mock-up I made with 2/3 arrow keys and a fn lock light.

5 Likes

Up and down keys are way to small.
You use those keys so often.
I am really desperat for full size keys
Like this e590 thinkpad

4 Likes

I think Framework went to form over function with the keyboard and general design choices…

2 Likes

My apologies if it’s already been mentioned previously in this thread.

I’d really like to see a keyboard layout where the ‘Windows Key’ does not have the Windows Logo on it. Maybe even a replaceable cap version if possible, would be cool to be able to swap out the logo’s for which OS you use, whether it be Windows, Linux or even (If someone ever got it working) MacOS.

Also, could someone explain to me the difference between the ISO and ANSI Covers? I’d really like to understand the different option availble in the Marketplace :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The windows key is mandatory for them to be able to sell Windows copies at the price they do. I agree with you, and have watched threads about painting over it, which I might do eventually, but that’s where we are now.

The primary difference from what I saw is the shape of the Enter and Shift keys, and the minor keys on the right side of the keyboard.

4 Likes

Greetings.

Sorry for necrobumping this thread, but I was wondering if there was any chance I could have some diagrams or schematics that detail the size of the key switches and as well as their receptacles.
I am currently prototyping a custom columnar staggered (semi-ortholinear) membrane keyboard to serve as a drop-in replacement for the factory default keyboard.

I am thinking of disassembling the membrane key switches of the factory keyboard and re-align them into a columnar staggered layout on a 3D printed receptacle platform.
I made a test with the thinnest and cheapest membrane keyboard I could find, and it seems doable so far.
As a next step, I would like to study the feasibility of designing 3D printable receptacles for the FW’s key switches, but I am a bit scared of messing with my current laptop as I daily drive it for work.
I thought of ordering an input cover to do some experiments and measurements, but I would greatly appreciate if someone could provide me with those measurements so that can get a better idea if it can work in advance.

EDIT: The awesome Framework Team has gracefully provided me with input covers for further experimentation. Currently working on disassembling the keyboard and re-arrange it into a custom layout.

Best regards.

9 Likes

That’s a great project which also shows how hard it is to build a keyboard for today’s ultra thin laptops. As you suggest in your linked post, perhaps the ideal is to be found with the Cherry switch.

Is there a rationale behind the physical format you have chosen - perhaps it is an adaptation of your usual format to the laptop space constraints? I have previously asked if there are any people who would be interested in an Atreus for Framework. Personally, I still think the Atreus would be a better prospect because the format is already (by the standards of such things) widely used and the two sets of columns diverge towards the user to reduce wrist strain. Of course I happen to own one! Nonetheless I have not the wherewithal to actually make it happen and I wish you the best with your project.

1 Like

@David_Eastham Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Your Atreus post is actually in my references for this project.

The physical format is based on the Charybdis, which I daily drive and am more familiar with.

It is hard to see without the key caps being installed, but the keys are actually rotated 6 degrees inward, for a more comfortable position, similarly to the Atreus.

1 Like

I swapped out my keyboard, so have an extra one lying around. If you tell me how to go about measuring, I can give it a go.

1 Like

Maybe there’s already a post about this, but I really wish for a “standard” Windows keyboard where all cursor keys are the same size : Tastenkombinationen-030 (2)
Since there are also a lot of Linux users, it would also make sense from my point of view to release a keyboard without a Windows logo, or with a Mac layout as an alternative.

6 Likes