The Power Adapter

Idea: it would be great if we can make the power adapter more use by:

1. Making it into a usb hub and attach the framework type C modules
  2. Doubles as “carrier” for the modules
  3. Chargers other devices as well
9 Likes

This sounds like a perfect third party product idea! There must be someone making a power supply with this already… The fact that you don’t need to buy one with the machine make it possible to save e-waste.

3 Likes

Typo in “Kapan”. Feel free to delete this post if/when fixed.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be nice if the power adapters could be opened and repaired also and not in molded together enclosures.

3 Likes

Most people (those not trained in working on power circuits) should not mess around inside power adapters. If you mess up inside your laptop you’re unlikely to kill yourself or burn your house down. The same is not true of messing up inside the power adapter.

8 Likes

Agreed, but speaking as someone who is qualified it’s always nice when I don’t have to spend 30 minutes sawing a plastic enclosure open risking further damage to the item all to replace a 20 pence component.

3 Likes

Agreed, but how to you make it convenient for you but inconvenient for those that should keep their mitts out? Star-nosed screws only go so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could say that about any domestic appliance, if someone wants to get in there they’ll do whatever it takes… including spending 30 minutes with a hacksaw :wink:
What’s wrong with a little do not open sticky label.

7 Likes

“Warranty void if sticker removed”? And a non-reusable(!) sticker. Then we’re good.

3 Likes

Quick question. What would happen if I used a 30W power adapter?

Follow up. I have a thunderbolt dock with PD that provides 60W but not sure what’s happening with the Thunderbolt 3 qualification.

1 Like

30W should function as long as it is USB-PD compatible, but it’ll charge slowly and may limit peak performance.

5 Likes

I have a 30W Apple Charger. So I guess that would work to charge the FL laptop but it would just be slow?

And the 60W is a PD Dock but it is Thunderbolt. Has there been any word on Thunderbolt 3 compatibility?

1 Like

There should be no issues with charging from a 60W Thunderbolt dock with PD.

3 Likes

for even more sustainability: make both cords optional for those of us who have a massive box of cables we’ve collected throughout the years!

9 Likes

I’m curious about how you implemented the passthrough.
Any images of its inside?

I may well have missed it but do we know the data speed available on the cable it comes with?

It’s a USB 2.0 cable.

1 Like

As a work-around for another notebook, I wrote a Python script to monitor the battery charge level and turn on or off a smart plug that the charger is plugged into. It works well, but the computer must be on. Other systems (like Lenovo) work even when the notebook is powered down. I’m hoping that will be the case with Framework’s models.

3 Likes

My daughter’s MacBook Air USB-C charger worked well with the Frame.work computer.

One great thing about the Framework charger is that it’s a fully capable USB-PD charger. You can also charge other devices like recent phones, tablets, and USB power packs that use USB-PD charging. That’s a useful way to cut down the number of things you need to carry when you travel.

2 Likes