The screws strip really fast

When I got this laptop I saw the screws and I was immediately worried about stripping. I’ve only taken the device apart three times and it’s happened already; now I have to go through a complicated process to take it apart.

Please get better screws, the star shape seems like a good choice in theory but it’s too fragile. Metal becomes very weak when it’s thin. I recommend replacing these with flatheads.

You can get replacement screws on the marketplace.

The star shape is torx. Torx is better than slotted, better than most other common options. Slotted cams out more, which causes damage.

But others have posted about stripping. It would be nice if Framework could release some data on the screws, force needed to strip them. As I wonder if the stripping is just from over tightening, or something else, which could maybe be improved.

6 Likes

I’ve taken my computer apart multiple times and the screws aren’t even close to being stripped. That being said I’m relatively gentle with screwing and unscrewing and don’t tighten my screws too much to keep the laptop closed up. IDK if it makes a big difference but I was also using the iFixit Precision Driver with a T5 bit, rather than the screwdriver that Framework gives out since I lost it a hella long time ago :woozy_face:. As far as I can tell, the iFixit screwdriver lets you put more downward force on a screw when turning it, minimizing stripping.

8 Likes

When I used the Framework included Screwdriver I actually stripped the bit. But the screw still was completely intact. Therefore I thought that the screws might be very strong

6 Likes

The screws are honestly fine. Just make sure to not tighten them too much, just go until you feel the slightest resistance.

You don’t need to add downforce with torx, that’s mostly a thing with crosshead screws.

But I also found that the Framework screwdriver tip was very bad. It was slightly too small, not creating a good grip, and way too soft, stripping easily with the slightest resistance. Had no problems when using a proper Wera driver.

I know making such a tiny bit is hard, and I know the Framework screwdriver is relatively cheap, at just $7 on the marketplace, but compared to a proper screwdriver, the Framework one feels like it’s made out of chinesium.

8 Likes

Just ran into the same issue :confused:
The tip of the packaged Framework screwdriver is using metal that is much softer than other brands. Not sure how much a better tip would cost, but it would make the experience more forgiving for newcomers.

With the bundled screwdriver I slipped off just one single time. The screw survived, but the screwdrivers tip clipped off. And that turned my screwdriver into a screw-destroyer, stripping everything it touches. With my other (hardened) screwdrivers from different brands, even those with inferior Phillips screws, slipping doesn’t do any damage to neither the screws nor the screwdriver.

The idea is that screwdriver should go before the screw, so using after that ? ? Imagine if it was the screw head that got damaged ~ serious issue to remove the screw. Replacing the screwdriver is easy.

The image above your post, is that similar to what you experienced? They are covered by the warrantee, so if Framework get enough RAM request they may look into it with a bit more vigour.

The idea is that screwdriver should go before the screw, so using after that ? ? Imagine if it was the screw head that got damaged ~ serious issue to remove the screw. Replacing the screwdriver is easy.

The screws may be harder, but not by a lot. They will get damaged too, especially if the screwdriver has already chipped off at least once and becomes more and more slippery with further use. So after the first slip it is already cooked. Otherwise you risk your screws too.

Mine had a significant decrease of grip after I messed up just one single time. So I had to be much more careful and use way more downwards-pressure to get the screw out. But that increases the risk even further, because if you slip now, its over completely.

The image above your post, is that similar to what you experienced?

Yes. Here is mine:

I don’t want a new one from Framework. I just want them to know that softer metals may be less forgiving/beginner friendly.

2 Likes

These fit the Framework handle: I have the iFixIt toolkit to confirm.

3 Likes