TKL (tenkeyless) keyboard

Hi framework team!

Why your team not created TKL (tenkeyless) layout keyboard yet?

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean. By default it is tenkeyless, you have to opt-in for the numpad, which is a modular addon.

What I mean is how the direction keys are placed and the special keys (page up, page down, insert, delete, home and end) are placed where they belong.

1 Like

My assumption would be finite space and connection alignment.

1 Like

if I understand @Aibek_Q correctly he basically wants a module like the numpad, but instead of numbers he wants the special keys on the right side of a traditional 80% TKL keyboard.
…Right?

As to why Framwork hasn’t made one yet: I guess demand for the numpad is way higher than for the special keys module.

4 Likes

Yes, you almost got it right @Schuasda

There are keyboard layouts commonly referred to as TKL. Key location to be as in the picture.
On this layout, typing and typing is very convenient for those who use special keys (page up, page down, delete, insert, home, end).

1 Like

You can just use the macropad.
Creating modules costs money and effort, stocking additional items also has costs associated, and Framework is currently a small company. Without a large demand / potential sales, it’s not a good choice. Especially when the macropad can already serve this purpose.

Not having a TKL layout is a deal breaker for me, as I was hoping this will get implemented.

When writing text, coding etc my fingers automatically go to the Del, Ins, Home, End, PgUp, PgDown along the proper Arrow and Shift/Ctrl keys. For this reason I have bought and external Logitech 915 TKL for use with Laptops (costing ~200$), cause I cant stand their awful & non-standard layouts.

Please please please bring a TKL option!

BTW, there’s another 2 threads for this request:

https://community.frame.work/t/keyboard-arrow-keys/2275/23

1 Like

If is it to hard make a new TKL keyboard layout, may be framework team can create new numpad layout like this?

Sorry, I am not a designer.

3 Likes

In theory, the community can also make these modules.

3 Likes

For now I plan to use the clear macropad with this layout. I skipped arrows as I plan to map Fn+wasd and Fn+hjkl as suggested in Full arrow keys on 16 inch keyboard. Also not sure what I’d do with the extra 8 buttons after removing the 12 numpad buttons and adding 4 arrow keys.

Will have to buy the transparent blue stickers from KeyOverlay Modifier & Function keys and KeyOverlay Punctuation, Mathematical Characters and Numbers I guess, unless someone else knows where I can get transparent black stickers. I found 4Keyboard blank stickers onto which I could print my own black legends, but I do not know whether to get size 11x13 or 14x14. I want a transparent background so that the backlight still shows key labels at night. Blue is pretty ugly on the RGB imo, but I guess I care most about function.

I’d be even more interested in a halfwidth macropad as discussed in Macropad small input module, but I feel like that’s not so likely to actually happen.

2 Likes