[TRACKING] 12th gen intel unable to boot under fedora 39 6.6.3 or 6.6.4 kernels

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:

Are you looking into the forum because you’re having potential issues with your Framework laptop? Before creating a post, we may have a guide, FAQ, or thread that can hopefully help!

In the body of your post, please include those following details.

• Which OS (Operating System)?
    Operating System: Fedora Linux 39
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.9
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.111.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.11
    Kernel Version: 6.6.2-201.fc39.x86_64 (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: Wayland
    Processors: 20 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1280P
    Memory: 62.5 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
    Manufacturer: Framework
    Product Name: Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core)
    System Version: A8
  • Which release of your OS (Operating System / Windows 10, 11, Distribution of Linux)?
  • Which Framework laptop (11th, 12th or 13th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with?
  • If this is a Linux issue, please use the Linux tag or at least put Linux in the title.
  • If there is no information pertaining to your issue or question, please let us know here: Framework | Support Framework | Support

Are you guys seeing issues booting into these kernels? When I start it says booting kernel xxx and then hangs. there’s usually a second line about loading ramdisk or whatnot but it doesn’t show and just hangs indefinitely
6.6.4-200 and 6.6.3-200 fail to boot. i’ve reverted to 6.6.2-201 and can boot

i’m not sure what the deal is but it boots now. shrug i am running the 6.6.4-200 kernel
Operating System: Fedora Linux 39
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.9
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.111.0
Qt Version: 5.15.11
Kernel Version: 6.6.4-200.fc39.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 20 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1280P
Memory: 62.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
Manufacturer: Framework
Product Name: Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core)
System Version: A8

Not seeing this here. Fedora 39, testing all of the kernels listed. The difference here, is GNOME.

When you got booted into 6.6.2-201, do you check the logs for any indications of what happened? May be something needing a Fedora bug report.

This was marked resolved, but it doesn’t seem to be, so unmarking it.

I am now seeing reports in the Fedora community for 6.6.4 - digging into this now. Does not seem wide spread at this time, so I am seeing if it affects us and our laptops now.

1 Like

Okay, we have not found this to be prevent in our own testing.

To match OP’s setup, we used 12th gen. @Loell_Framework did not experience this using Fedora 39 6.6.4-200 - note, we use standard Fedora with GNOME. We do not test against KDE.

The other reports I found in the community mostly did not indicated desktop, but one did indicated KDE as well.

1 Like

Thank you for checking. I am also using KDE. It has been working fine for me since I posted my update so I don’t think I have any logs worth checking at this point, but if it happens again I will do so.

I got the same issue when upgrading to 6.6.6-200 kernel. Now I can’t boot into 6.6.6-200 and it hangs just after selecting the kernel with grub.

I saved my messages log file but i’m having trouble uploading it to pastebin due to the size. I need to filter it further than just the day. Once I finish work i’ll plug into my desktop setup and go through it properly… but at least by my observation there’s basically nothing from the boot attempt.

my last reboot was in 6.6.6-200 which failed, then 6.6.4-200 which worked (and I am in now) so I really just need that last shutdown before booting 6.6.6. and then maybe the new boot into 6.6.4.

Actually I think I found my issue.

I started using grub-customizer so I could set windows to be the boot priority or not. It seems that in order to get this kernel to work I need to start grub-customizer and save my config.

So that explains my issue, now I need to figure out what to do about it =) In order to use grub-customizer I did have to change my grub config option for grub_enable_blscfg from true to false. So i’ll start by reverting this file and re-installing the kernel.

Ahhh linux problems… !

Thank you for looking into it though.

Working with the GRUB 2 Boot Loader :: Fedora Docs contains the correct instructions to do what I wanted for my distro and i’ve re-ran grub2-mkconfig and it boots. Perhaps next update I won’t have any issues.

I feel this! :slight_smile:

Ah, sounds like you have found a path forward for this situation (this time)?