[TRACKING] Fingerprint reader failing to register on 13th gen

@Matt_Hartley 13th generation (see my previous post). Happy to test if you still need people.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley thanks so much for working this out. Got my new Framework 13, installed Ubuntu, and thought I was going crazy. Just curious, how long does it usually take for these kinds of updates to make their way out into the ether? Any chance you’d be willing to share the instructions the beta testers used for those of us who would like to implement sooner?

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Glad it’s working its way out.

Timing with stuff like this depends on testing, pushing to release status and in some cases, the vendor themselves.

Sorry, @Matt_Hartley to clarify, it hasn’t made its way out yet. I’m asking if you could share the steps you asked people to test so we can implement it now instead of waiting for the official push.

2 Likes

I am not sure of the official way to fix it, but when I had the same issue and was waiting for the fix, I installed windows on a storage expansion card. Updating and installing the correct framework firmware on windows fixed the problem for me. I have since been able to use the fingerprint reader on Fedora.

Again, I am not sure if this solution is endorsed, but if you foresee using windows in some cases and are planning to install it anyways, this might be a solution for you.

Edit 1: I used windows-to-go to install windows 10 onto the storage expansion card, and then upgraded to windows 11 through this install. I think I followed the steps at How to install Windows 10 on an expansion card - #11 by Cheese.

2 Likes

No worries. We’re working with beta testers because it’s a work in progress. The beta testing process has been successful 99.9% of the time for those participating. However, we really, really don’t have cycles to help anyone else right now if someone runs into issues.

What we want is to have users run this with lvfs once it’s pushed out, which is expected to be very, very soon.

tltr: Public fix is coming soon, but the manual process needs a helping hand I cannot provide at the moment except for those who were early adopters right now.

To the early adopters in DM, I am getting back to you, appreciate your patience.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m late to this party. I just got my Framework 13 DIY, installed Ubuntu on it, and the fingerprint reader doesn’t work, presumably for the same reason as others’. I’m happy to beta test and help out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, if Windows was ever installed, this is the recommended approach for those using Windows and Linux. The Windows in this way should work, but it can be iffy. But it is absolutely an option and for those who use both OS’, it’s a fair option.

We don’t advertise this as it may or may not work for everyone. I have not done a lot of testing this direction as I don’t use Windows myself.

1 Like

Hi, I got my framework 13 today, installed Fedora 38 and tried to enable Fingerprint Login, but I get following message: “Failed to claim fingerprint device Goodix MOC Fingerprint Sensor: Failed to communicate with the fingerprint reader” Is this an hard or an software issue or am I just stupid?

@Lukas_Trapp, this is a known issue and is being worked on, with a resolution shortly. I have moved your post to the relevant thread.

+1 That installing windows first made the fingerprint reader “just work”.

OOTB I installed nixOS and couldn’t get the fingerprint reader working. I decided to dual boot and (1) erased the drive, (2) created an empty NTFS partition for windows, (3) created windows install media from another windows machine, direct ISO didn’t work, (4) installed windows, (5) installed nixos on the rest of the drive also creating a separate /boot partition during the nixos installer.

1 Like

There is an update for Windows that provides a arguably method for folks. While we wait to get this on LVFS, this is absolutely a method that does work.

Alright, here is updated guidance.

Please note the header of the file- if you are not wanting to take this approach or it errors out, please wait for the LVFS update.

For earlier beta testers, this is a new cab file - if it failed for you previously:

• Check sudo cat /usr/share/fwupd/quirks.d/goodixmoc.quirk and make sure both entries are present and there is no duplication.

• Try the updated instructions linked above.

6 Likes

I followed the instructions as described and my fingerprint reader is now recognized. That said, I’ve successfully added my fingerprint multiple times, but using fprintd-verify and logging in with the same finger has never succeeded.

I’m enrolling it via Fedora 38 w/ Gnome in Settings. Could I be enrolling it incorrectly?

doas fwupdtool install --allow-reinstall --allow-older goodix-moc-609c-v01000330.cab
Writing…                 [*************************************  ]22:00:54.752 FuEngine             failed to update-cleanup after failed update: failed to get device before update cleanup: failed to wait for device: device <foo> did not come back

failed to write: failed to reply: transfer timed out

It seemed to work second try though, went from

Current version:    01000320

to

New version:      01000330
doas fprintd-enroll hugh
Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
Enrolling right-index-finger finger.
Enroll result: enroll-stage-passed
Enroll result: enroll-remove-and-retry
Enroll result: enroll-retry-scan
Enroll result: enroll-completed
 - system: `"x86_64-linux"`
 - host os: `Linux 6.1.44, NixOS, 23.11 (Tapir), 23.11.20230813.100a155`

I would try this, as sudo. Make sure to make it executable. Reboot, re-register again, reboot, then try again to login. Note, it’s not unheard of for the fingerprint reader (my phone, any laptop I own does this to me) to misbehave and fail to see my fingerprint. So it may be “fine”, but let’s try this first.

1 Like

This looks good based on this: linux-docs/13th-gen-fingerprint-reader-firmware.md at main · FrameworkComputer/linux-docs · GitHub

Continuing the discussion from [TRACKING] Fingerprint reader failing to register on 13th gen:

This was it - thank you!

2 Likes

After a long day, this simple statement made my evening! Thank you! :raised_hands: :slight_smile:

3 Likes