[TRACKING] Instant power loss

Could this be a power management issue? Most problems seem to be resolved by driver or BIOS updates, so could there be something in those updates that resolves an inherent power management issue that will occasionally still show up with just the right/wrong conditions?

That could be. I will review my current power settings and put the details here so maybe we can compare. I did make some changes over the default Windows 10 power settings to get away from “Modern standby” to protect battery life, and maybe those contribute? I don’t know.
When I experienced it, it was like a power cut to a typical AC-powered PC - on one moment, and then suddenly off.

It happened to me on 3.06, but only once or twice in a lifetime. And all of that was during my first days installing stuff ~3 months ago. Never experienced it since then.

1 Like

It happened to me yesterday, just after waking up the laptop from deep sleep. The laptop was running on battery (around 65%).

VoidLinux
i5 DIY
32GB Crucial RAM (2x16)
1TB WD SN850
1x USB-C ports
2x USB-A ports (both empty)
1xHDMI (empty)
BIOS 3.07

I only received the laptop two weeks ago.

I had the problem about once a day until I posted a thread on the forum (Touchpad sometimes shuts down the laptop). As suggested in this post, I disconnected and reconnected the ribbons, and the problem seems to be less frequent, but still happens.

I have a DIY edition, batch 8, with SSD and RAM from another supplier, and run AlpineLinux 3.15.

I’ve contacted the support. Let’s see what the team will answer!

My bad… :thinking: I wanted to say until I disconnected and reconnected the ribbon of the trackpad as suggested in the response to my thread! Perhaps that helped.

1 Like

This has happened a few times for me just in the last couple weeks. 1st time was shortly after waking from sleep on battery, 2nd time was shortly after boot on battery, and I had it happen just now shortly after waking from sleep while plugged in.

Got the DIY i5 in December, updated BIOS to 3.07 as soon as I got it.

just got my framework up and running with funtoo over the last couple of days and while this hasn’t happened to me yet (touch wood) I may have something to add.

I do not trust usb-pd and do not have such a charger. therefore I am running the framework from a powerpack. As funtoo is a source distro, there’s a lot of compiling involved, and I have at times seem my framework pulling in excess of 95W from the powerpack for short periods while compiling, as well as longer periods at 75-85W. This is clearly more than the official framework charger is capable of supplying.

1 Like

If the power pack is sending 85watts, it uses PD.

1 Like

My point is I have seen the laptop drawing significantly more power than the official charger provides, this could conceivably cause a sudden loss of power with a weak or low battery or if the battery is unable to make up the shortfall for some other reason.

2 Likes

Still, there is plenty of evidence that this happened with full battery and AC plugged in.

That is impossible, they may be very short current spikes like a lot of the RTX 3000 series but for it to cause power loss is electrically impossible. How did you figure out how much the laptop was drawing. USB-PD is a tested and proven standard.

This just happened to me for the first time. I’ve been using my machine since late December.

Non-DIY (Pro)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1185G7
Memory: 32GB
Storage: 1TB
WiFi: WiFi 6 with vPro
Batch: 8 (iirc)

Operating system:

Dual boot: Windows 11 & EndeavorOS (5.16.14-arch1-1)

Happened while I was running EOS. Only thing plugged was headphones. Battery at around 55% at time of event. Was typing in firefox.

Edit: I have BIOS 3.07.

my powerpack has a display showing voltage, current and power both in and out on every port.

May be inaccurate by more than 10% :slight_smile:

10% is 6W, not 30.

-20 characters-

If the laptop was at for example 2 percent and the charger abruptly ends there is no possibility of it causing power loss. If the laptop is drawing too much your power bank has a issue.

Not quite what I mean or said [more that 10% could be 20%]

10 % of a 90W input provides 81% to the power bank
10 % loss in that bank drops that to 72%
10 % loss in output reading drops that to 65%

and that’s just for one measurement of volts or amps

As wattage is the product of both it could be even more or less inefficient.

Without a calibrated way of measure both voltage and amps over the use period relying on any measurement in a discussion is food for argument.

If you have a problem with your charging method, or as the topic states - Power loss on the computer object, that is of some concern :slight_smile:
All the best

incorrect, the powerbank supplies what the laptop demands. the laptop is demanding MORE than than the official charger can supposedly provide. The powerbank doesn’t care, it can supply whatever.

framework specifies a 65W charger as being sufficient to power and charge the laptop, what I’m seeing suggests that it isn’t when the laptop is under high load, and that framework should probably be supplying 90W chargers instead, because from what i’m seeing, with a 65W charger a framework under full load will actually deplete its battery to make up the shortfall in power demand.

A laptop plugged in to mains power should be able to run absolutely 110% flat out without touching its internal battery, even if it means charging is a bit slower.

USB-PD works that it will ask for a specific voltage and amperage, let’s say 65 volts at 4 amps, the device that is supplying power must not go above this. They will generally go to the top of these configurations.