[TRACKING] State of HiDPI on Linux

The solution has been mentionned already.

Font scaling is not the same as full scaling, and leads to completely satisfying results.
No fuzziness.

While the fuzz is gone I saw issues with the text not fitting into the UI pane/having to resize the window elements to fit the greater text size.

1 Like

@Usernames Well, yeah… Let’s say “more satisfying results”.

Although, personally I haven’t had to resize UI elements so far.
It happens for some applications, but far from all of them.

As far as my personal use goes, the font scaling has been a really satisfying solution.

1 Like

I think some of this does depend on distro. On Fedora I have no blurry text, but on Ubuntu it is horrendous. I have not had time to dig into why. I.e. whether it has to do with aliasing, choice of font, base font size, etc

1 Like

Absolutely but it is a downside of the “font size” approach.

I’ve settled on 150% with 1x fonts and that works for me, good we have options! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:: Feedback from the internet on Framework’s Linux-incompatible HiDPI display ::

Fractional Scaling…. still an issue in 2023
After fixing firefox, I noticed Slack was incredibly fuzzy…. The only option seem to be spending hours trying to find how to enable every random app, or disable fractional scaling and have a hard time reading stuff because it’s a bit small.
— 2023-10-12, A Developer’s Experience: Framework 13 AMD 7040 Series

Appreciate the feedback. However to be clear, incompatible would suggest that it does not work - it does, be it fractional scaling on Linux can be an acquired taste. I use it every single day. :slight_smile:

This reviewer had very specific expectations on how fractional scaling and how applications built for X, work with Wayland in general.

Again, fair feedback and we hear them. But I need to be clear on that point - electron apps specifically, their Wayland compatibility would fall in line with their individual developers.

2 Likes