Ubuntu 21.04 on the Framework Laptop

It’s running Ubuntu 21.10 with 5.13.0.20-generic.

Hi! With the new (non-Realtec) codec, the

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi 

line doesn’t seem to work to get the mic on a TRRS headset working. This is kind of a showstopper for me, since I need to be able to do Zoom calls (with exacting audio-quality requirements, e.g., for performances) on my laptop. (I mean, I could buy a USB headset, but I’d rather not have to since I already have headsets I like.)

Anybody know how to fix this? cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec says those of us with newer Frameworks have an “IDT 92HD95” codec, and I poked around the kernel audio docs, which is where a previous poster found the solution for Realtec codecs, and I found a card with “92HD95” in its name but no relevant options.

In the “Input Devices” tab of the Xubuntu mixer, I see “Internal Microphone” (which works when I have it switched on) and “Microphone (unplugged)” which always shows as unplugged despite having a TRRS headset plugged in. I can select it, but I’m still getting audio from the internal microphone, not the headset

1 Like

I wanted to report that I am also experiencing intermittent trackpad/touchpad issues on resume from sleep in Ubuntu 21.04, regardless of deep sleep being on. I can usually resolve the issue but putting the laptop back to sleep (e.g. closing the lid) and bringing it up again. I can’t discern from this thread if the cause of this issue has been identified… I think not?

It has been identified. Either disable PS2 emulation in the BIOS, or apply the i2c_hid unload/load workaround on suspend/resume.

You could do the latter using this thing I wrote or do it yourself. If you opt for disabling PS2 emulation, you’d lose any touchpad functionality in OSes which do not understand HID. That may not be an issue if you’re already setup and won’t be using/installing non-Ununtu.

The cause is the BIOS being unable to activate HID within some allotted time during resume and activating PS2 emulation mode instead. It was mentioned in the BIOS 3.06 thread. Personally, I have the workaround installed even though I have PS2 emulation disabled.

I just succeeded installing Ubuntu Studio 21.04 (based on Kubuntu) from a USB stick.

The install failed until I disabled “Enforce Secure Boot” in the UEFI (new type of BIOS). I made that change on a wild lucky guess. I had different UEFI secure boot issues when I installed Ubuntu 21.10 on a Lenovo Ideapad 1, and made somewhat different changes.

If someone could post (or link to) good general instructions on setting up UEFI on the Framework, that would be very helpful. Haven’t found any so far, and I find current UEFI interfaces complex and unclear.

What is the best keyboard to select when configuring Ubuntu (and presumably other OS) on Framework? I’m going with “Generic 101-key PC” for now, but the actual keyboard has only 78 keys, so I may have set up a future problem. The blog entry (The Keyboard) mentions “Lite-On” as the manufacturer, but that’s not an option listed in the Ubuntu (Ubuntu Studio, derived from Kubuntu with KDE Plasma) configuration.

Hello,
I’m also having this issue with a batch 5 laptop and and have yet to find a workaround. I think that it might be able to be solved with reassigning pins using hdajackretask but I have yet to be able to get it working.

1 Like

I just saw the notice from Ubuntu that 21.04 will not be supported after January 20. I would welcome any observations regarding how and when best to move on, presumably to 21.10.

1 Like

I noticed that my new 21.04 installation defaulted to X11 with no Wayland installation. I added Wayland, and had some problems, so I reverted. If anyone knows how the X11 vs. Wayland question should affect 21.04 and the update to 21.10, please post.

21.10 with this exact kernel: 5.14.21-051421-generic

Works perfectly (Wi-fi 6, bluetooth, etc)

I have ignored the prompts to update 21.04 to 21.10.
My system is working for me, and I don’t want it to break.
With the report above, how do you choose which kernel will be installed or used?

Well, if it’s working :slight_smile:
I’ve been tinkering a lot because it wasn’t working well, now that it is I might chill.

In any case, you can install the new kernel and check it out.

You can fetch it here:
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.14.21/

Download all the files from the amd64 block that DON’T have lowlatency in the name. Move them to an empty folder and from it run:

dpkg -i *.deb

Which will do the actually install.

Then reboot, and from the grub menu select the new kernel.
If everything works, then you can make it the default.

Thank you for the information.
Linux does allow a wealth of choice, but also a world of hurt, if you don’t have the familiarity with the choices.

The information is available, but finding it is not always easy.

Can anything be done to the grub menu to make the text bigger?

The font size is miniscule on my system.

It’s not the most intuitive process, but I did it with mine using steps similar to what’s here:

1 Like

Thank you, eyes are older everyday.

An easier if less pretty way (vs. generating a larger grub font as described at Viet’s Blog is just to change the screen resolution in grub. I added

GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600

in /etc/default/grub and re-ran update-grub, which got me adequately large text for my eyes.

(info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration' told me that “Supported modes can be listed by ‘videoinfo’ command in GRUB,” but if I’m remembering correctly the first one I tried didn’t work and seemed to be ignored.)

2 Likes

Thank you for the alternative.

Nice to have choices.

I installed 21.04 on my batch 6 Framework last night. I’m having 2 problems, both related to input lag.

First, I had an issue where my mouse cursor would briefly freeze, then jump to where I had move it… happening every minute or so. Google led me to the solution which was to switch from Wayland to Xorg, that seemed to fix it. So far so good.

Second, I’m having input lag related to keyboard input. It’s subtle, but I’m getting delay I’d say of 500ms maybe? Give or take. Sometimes it’s worse. It just feels slightly off. Happens everywhere - terminal, text editor, etc. This may be more of a linux problem than anything, but curious if anyone else has seen this or had these issues.

The (very irritating) mouse cursor sticking/lag is a know issue, and fixed in newer kernel versions (5.14.x onwards).

I’m using Ubuntu 21.10, and with the default 5.13.x kernel has the same mouse cursor issues.
Installing the 5.15.6 kernel solved it for me. You can install the newer kernel on 21.04 if you don’t want to update to 21.10.

Installation instructions here, listing of all kernel files here, and the files for 5.15.6 specifically here.

[Note: I’m stuck with 5.15.6 because the 5.15.7 and 5.15.8 kernels don’t cleanly install because of has an unmet dependency [libssl3 >= 3.0.0], so I’m guessing they used 22.04 [Jammy] to compile those kernels… which is a pain… ]

I haven’t noticed the keyboard issue, so I don’t have any advice on that…

1 Like

Recognition of a newly connected USB disk is inconsistent. I am running Ubuntu Studio 21.04 (based on Kubuntu) with a 5.11.0-41-lowlatency kernel. Unplugging power has always tickled the system to notice the disk. When unnoticed, the disk does not show up as a /dev/sd***. Once it shows up on /dev, automount works reliably.

There could be a hardware problem involved, but my first suspicion goes to the OS. I had similar issues some years ago with a different version of Ubuntu on a Lenovo ThinkPad, then it cleared up for some years.

I also had one spontaneous unmount while using a USB disk. That could be due to a slight disruption of the cable, so I won’t take it too seriously unless it happens a few more times.

This is the sort of thing that I may never diagnose properly, and it may go away with some future system update. But, if anyone else has the same experience, we should pool our information.