Ubuntu, USB-C to HDMI display output

This may be a silly question, but I’m wondering about display output in Ubuntu using a USB-C to HDMI cable. Will that work in Ubuntu? I just ordered my laptop, and didn’t get an HDMI expansion card – but I want to make sure I can use a USB-C to HDMI cable to plug in my laptop into an external monitor.

Will Ubuntu on the frame.work laptop automatically detect an external monitor, connected with such a cable?

Aren’t these always adaptors? I think there are some electronics involved in the conversion. These adaptors have worked for me under linux, though. The electronics in an HDMI expansion card will likely be the same as in some adapter cable.

Yes it will work. Ubuntu is pretty advanced.

1 Like

Thanks – I just put in my order and wanted to know if I would need to go back and change it, or order an HDMI or DisplayPort card. Sounds like USB-C is starting to show its promise as the true all-in-one connector.

1 Like

It does work indeed. Essentially, HDMI expansion card is nothing more but a Type-C to HDMI dongle with its extension cable reduced to an absolute minimum.

Both, a HDMI card and a dongle would work out of the box.

Yes, Dell Displaylink works for Ubuntu 20.04.
Download the driver from DisplayLink Downloads Page | Synaptics