Unable to wake from sleep

Adding to this thread, can create a new thread if so desired.

I received my DIY laptop on 8/4, and proceeded to set it up with Pop!_OS with encryption, then dual-booting windows on an expansion card, with rEFInd set up for the boot menu. Everything has been working very well and I love the machine. Yesterday I grabbed the laptop, closed the screen, unplugged, and ran out to do some errands. Normally I have chosen to suspend from the menu, and it has worked well. When I went to resume the machine the power light on the button was solid. Pressing it yielded a black screen and the fans running at high speed. I tried holding the power button down until the machine shut off, then restarting, but that did not resolve the issue. When I did try to power the machine on there was a series of blinking green lights in between the expansion slots on the left hand side of the machine, with an orange one periodically as well. Unfortunately I didnā€™t think to capture a video of them. I finally shut the machine down, opened it up, and swapped the RAM chips to the opposite slots that they had been in. At that point, on boot the machine scanned the memory, then booted as normal. Everything has been fine since then. I can attempt to reproduce if that will be useful, but prior to doing so Iā€™d like to determine if there is any way to break the cycle short of opening up the machine and swapping the ram slots. Thatā€™s simple enough to do, but if there is a key combo to reset the state, that would be easier.

2 Likes

If it happens again, hereā€™s what the diagnostic lights mean: My Framework Laptop (Intel 11th Gen IntelĀ® Coreā„¢) is not powering on

2 Likes

@nrp Iā€™ve been unable to reproduce the issue since reinstalling the Realtek audio driver. This is good, but Iā€™m still frustrated by the higher-than-expected standby power consumption by the audio device.

1 Like

Thanks for testing this. Weā€™re working with the driver team at our manufacturing partner to see if we can resolve the standby power issue.

1 Like

Ok finally encountered a similar scenario. I closed the lid this morning (at 86% charge) and left the laptop for 1.5 hours. Per the powercfg /SleepStudy report, it switched to Hibernate from Sleep - Standby Battery Budget Exceeded. However, when I picked the laptop up to use it again, I noticed that the fans were at 100% and the power led was illuminated.

Upon opening the lid, the laptop would not wake and I was forced to perform a hard poweroff with the power button. Once powered up again, I noticed that the battery had discharged all the way down to 26%.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed report.

On the original issue on standby power drain, we believe we have determined the root cause in the driver and can resolve it with a driver update. On the unable to wake issue, itā€™s unclear if it is the same root cause, but please try out the updated driver bundle when we release it.

5 Likes

Will do, thanks! Do you have a vague ETA when we might expect a driver update / how these are typically announced to the community?

Weā€™ll do internal testing at Framework, followed by a beta release on the forums here, and then final release to everyone.

3 Likes

Iā€™m seeing the same wonā€™t-wake issue sometimes, with the framework drivers. At least once itā€™s happened when I unplugged the laptop before attempting to wake, as described by someone else above. Not seeing any anomalies with battery charge.

My Sleep Study data indicates the system went from ā€œActiveā€ to ā€œScreen offā€ the previous evening, then shows nothing until the ā€œAbnormal shutdownā€ I initiated just now because it was stuck. In other words, looks like obfuscurirityā€™s screenshot.

Iā€™ve had this happen probably two other times total since reverting to the Framework audio driver (and then later, upgrading to the newest bios and driver package).

Interestingly, as best I can recallā€¦ on both occasions, the laptop was hot and the fan was running, but after the ā€œhard shutdown / rebootā€ cycle, it came back up as if it had woken from hibernation. That is, all of the apps I had previously open were restored and in the same state as they were before the attempted sleep.

@nrp hopefully this provides some additional context for you and the team.

1 Like

Hmm, I seem to have an issue also unable to wake up from sleep; Iā€™d figure Iā€™d just add my info to see if maybe it might help. ATM, I got Ubuntu 21.10 (beta), and what I notice is , if I close my laptop, wait some time, and then open up my laptop the power button will light up solid and not pusling , but screen stays black. Waited for a few minutes and nothing.

This also happened to me when I was on 21.04. I got the i5 CPU with 32 GB of RAM, with a 1TB NAND SSD so not sure if that is a problem? But figured Iā€™d pitch in too. Iā€™m part of batch 4 so Iā€™m using whatever firmware version that came with.

If there are somethings I can run to help provide insight, let me know.

Check out my issue here.

I have a similar problem like this, but the power led is solid, and I cannot turn the laptop off, even when I force it.

Thereā€™s this urgent problem with the laptop where if you try to wake up from sleep then the display doesnā€™t come on. Itā€™s a rare occurrence but it happened to me twice already. What I did is let the laptop go to sleep while on battery. Then you will see the power led and keyboard backlight are on, but not the display. I even held down the power button to force it to shut off, but it didnā€™t. You literally have to disconnect the battery or let it die to force it to shut off.

I made a video of the problem if itā€™s any clear.

3 Likes

Which OS are you using?

Have you double checked that any magnets you might have nearby arenā€™t near the laptop and causing it to sleep?

@Daniel_Gagnon Windows 11
@Dominic_Keen I dont have any nearby magnets. I hear the laptop is on , no matter what I do the screen wont turn on. And pushing the power button will not work either.

Iā€™ve had this happen several times too. Linux in my case. In fact I think it happens every time I try to use suspend or hibernate instead of full power off. Because of this I have my machine set to only power the screen off when idle, and then eventually full shutdown, no suspend or hibernate. If I let it suspend, I get that locked state with the power button lit but screen black and totally unresponsive to any buttons or other sensors. IE, opening and closing the lid doesnā€™t cause a reaction either.

I just assumed it was because I was using linux and a bleeding edge kernel.

The power button does work but it takes 15 full seconds not 4 or 5. I timed it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had this happen a few times on Linux as well (Fedora 35, 5.14. kernel), although it doesnā€™t happen every time I open the lid (from suspend) as described by the above poster. Typically it will sleep and then resume just fine, although resume from suspend is consistently pretty slow as lots of people have reported.

I noticed this too. The handful of times Iā€™ve had to do a hard reset due to this problem, you really have to hold down on the square button for what feels like ages.

Iā€™m noticing some strange behavior around sleeping and plugging in the charger.

Put the laptop into sleep (push the power button), wait for sleep, close the lid, and then plug in the charger. The laptop fans immediately kick into high with a lot of heat coming out the bottom. Opening the lid wakes the laptop immediately as expected, but this may not be the case if it sits in this state long enough.

Try limiting your system to only use S3 sleep and not S01x or whatever hybrid sleep is. That seems to be working pretty consistently for me.