Uneven CPU thermals!

I’m using eGPU (external Thunderbolt 3/4 box with power delivery 100W) - and there no difference between “just eGPU PD” or “eGPU + FW 180W PD” or “internal display + FW 180W PD”. However with 60W power adapter there some degradation for sure…

But looks like you have internal discrete GPU, which is also consumes a lot…
In my scenario it usually goes to 61W for 3-5 seconds and than decreased to ~56W and in ~7-10 mins decreased to ~53-54W. Note: I have Ryzen 9 (however Cinebench shows similar or even lower score compared with yours…).

When i use my eGPU which doesnt have Powerdelivery + my USBC Charger from my Screen. I also get full power. But when using it without the eGPU i get the reduced Performance even when only the iGPU is active. So to reduce Faults its easier to use the Framework Charger when testing.

1 Like

Board swapped over & it appears all sorted!

Now getting 16143 pts on Cinebench R23 & thermals are only a a delta from hottest core to ccolest core under full load of 8.3C (100c to 91.7c) along with getting a full 65W Core package power boost & a consistant ~54W under full load on my R9 7940HS.

4 Likes

amdgpu_top has a readout of per-core wattage, temperature and clock at the bottom.

I don’t know how accurate these readings are though.

interesting tool. the core clock values i’m seeing here don’t seem to mesh with what i can poll from /proc/cpuinfo, though, so i find myself uncertain if this correctly reflects the cpu.

Interesting. I haven’t performed any deeper analysis, but it seems to me that at least the clock frequency matches up pretty well (keep in mind that the update time is not perfectly synced between the two tools here)

Also, from doing some testing today, I believe I am also affected by the temperature delta… that sucks

Just wanted to post an update basically confirming everyone else’s findings that a mobo replacement fixed my uneven CPU temps. It even came with the foam pads on it so I didn’t have to install them myself lol. An increase from 12k to 15k was definitely worth the effort of swapping the board.

5 Likes

That looks perfect :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the update.

I decided to check the thermals on mine. Been running Cinebench for a bit (Cinebench 2024, not R23 that most seem to be running. It said I needed to sign in to download that one). Package wattage around 38-40 watts. Hottest Core is 100C. The other cores vary from 97C to 78C. Clock speeds are bouncing around 3.7-3.9 Ghz.

I can’t compare my score to the 5 figure scores others get on R23. Mine is currently estimating (still running) 812 points. It bounces between about 790 and 820 while running. It’s not final yet. That puts it right around the same spot as the 10 core M1 Max and the Ryzen 7 5800 on their chart. We’ll see what it says when it completes.

Edit: Final score was 834. The hottest core was pegged at 99.9C the entire run. The coldest core was fluctuating slightly. 78.2 to 78.5C. Nearly a 22C delta. Other cores ranged from 80C to 97C.

908 is my Multicore Score in CB2024 with my 7840hs so Yep yours is also affected, by a bad Thermal Transfer

I had posted in an other thread about my uneven temperature and low results for the R9. I reported it to support and they concluded the same and send me a replacement mainboard heatpipe combo. The replacement performs better. I had 12-13k cinebench r23 multi core scores, the new replacement mainboard scores ~15900, just below 16k.
Unfortunately the big core temperatures differences remain. Core/sensor4 reaches 100c but the others in the high 60s and low 70s. That’s still a very high delta imho.

This makes me wonder if there’s an issue with the mounting of the mainboard and the cover plate. Making it warp a bit so that there’s a weak spot in the cpu/ihs mounting pressure for the heatpipes.

I’m going to experiment a bit later this week with screwing the mainboard a bit loose or putting some padding under the cover plate to see if it makes a difference.

I am happy the replacement is giving me better results than that my initial board had but I don’t think I’m seeing those 5.2ghz it could/should? potentially reach.

Not sure yet what I will do, after the experimentation I will report back with any findings.

I do appreciate the service Framework offered, by sending a replacement hassle free. As the replacements does clearly prove and indicate my original board has a problem.

1 Like

Good luck with the new board!
Please let us know how it will go.

So far, the only good and stable result was the one from @PSierra117 with the modified heatsink.

2 Likes

I sent in my CB23 scores which were around 13k-13.5k, temperature delta between cores under load 16-19°C, average cpu package power around 32-35W. I quickly received a replacement mainboard from Framework, thanks again for the quick processing of my RMA request!

Now CB23 scores about 15.5k which is almost +15%.
CPU package power is usually between 46-52W under maximum load, I am even able to improve it a bit by elevating the back of my laptop so airflow is optimized. Temperature delta is now around 10°C.

I was also able to do a benchmark that might be more relevant for real use cases.
GCC compilation (configure --disable-multilib && make -j16) is reduced from 25m24,282s to 23m16,697s, which amounts to an increase in performance of ~9.1%.

3 Likes

It might be a fluke but I unscrewed the 6 mainboard screws just enough to remove the holdown tension as a test.
Screwed in the coverplate and all the covers to complete the laptop.
Ran CB r23 again.

I got the highest score yet I seen my FW16 do.
Im going to do another run and see what happens.
Do note the thermals of the cores. Still very unbalanced.
It’s too soon for any conclusions, I will do more testing.

1 Like

Did a reboot and another run, again16k+ score.

Wow that’s interesting. Did tight the down again or did you leave them a bit wiggle?

edit* Well can confirm somewhat despite my modified Heatsink.
i loosened my Mainboard Screws and also got 200 Points more.
before

After

Just got my new mainboard as well. I’ll probably install it sometime this weekend when I have the time. Hopefully I get as big of an improvement others are reporting with their new boards.

Good luck!
Out of curiosity, how long did the support team take to confirm?
I emailed them on Thu, 5 Sept and I’m still waiting for a reply.

I just tried this.
Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me.

hey @PSierra117 @Alex_Uta

found this thread via reddit.

I’m a Batch1 FW16 7840 owner and just found out my laptop also has problems. I checked because of this thread and i wondered because I saw the full power being used right when i got my fw16 in march.

So, here is all information i found from my testing in march.

Performance statistics are from a Manjaro linux - these screenshots are from march - so first testing out of the box.

#####################

Now when i test with Cinebench R23.200 i only get around 30 watts, also in the following image you can see the core clocks differ massivly to the core clocks in the old image. Now i get around 3500 MHz, in march i got 4200-4300 MHz on an allcore load.

Now… Because of this thread i removed my keyboard and deckplate and just slightly pressed on top of the cpu cooler. OOPS, cpu instantly jumped to 45 watts and around 3900-4050 MHz. still not the old numbers, but defintly better.

Cinebench R23 numbers are around 13500 to 14200 when thermally limited but when pressing on the cpu cooler i get around 15200 to 15600.

So it seems i have contact problems. sad I thougth i would not have to do maintenance because of the liquidmetal.

What do you think of this?

Greetings
CPUMiner (not mining on my fw16 xD)