Upgraded from 11Gen i7 to Ryzen 7840U docking station no longer works

• Which OS (Operating System)?
    Win11
  • Which Framework laptop
    Upgraded from Gen11 to Ryzen 7840U

Previous to upgrade I was running a thunderbolt Displaylink Docking station with dual monitors using the Displaylink drivers. I could plug in a 65W usb-c charger in slot 1 or 2 and the dock into the unused slot 1 or 2 (it did not matter which was where) and it would link up and run the dock.

I no longer have this capability. I don’t seem to be able to even drop the dock down to one display and have it work in any fashion, I get the ‘usb-c audio incompatible’ error which I never got before.

Is the Ryzen not compatible with thunderbolt like the Intel is? Is that the issue?

Only port 1 and 3 have full featured USB4 with thunderbolt3 mode, 2 and 4 don’t.

Thanks for the reply…
I saw that they were different on the diagram and tried those 1/3 and it still didn’t work.

What exact model docking station do you have?

Huh? Is it thunderbolt or is it display link? These are very different technologies. Both should work, but for thunderbolt you need to use the proper ports as mentioned in this thread.

In any case I would start out checking for yellow bangs in device manager.

If it’s really display link I would reinstall the drivers.

Yup… did that, no yellow bangs… agree “should” work and yes, tried the documented ports 1 and 3. No joy… I’ve swapped back to my Gen11 Intel for now. Needed the system up for work.

THIS dock from Wavelink From the description I understood it to be a Displaylink with Thunderbolt interfaces.

From that link there are two docks, which one is it?

WAVLINK Universal USB C Laptop Docking Station Dual Monitors 5K/4K@60Hz with 65W Host Charging for Thunderbolt 4/3, USB-C Windows, Mac, Chrome, Ubuntu 20.04,22.04(2HDMI, 2DP, 6USB 3.0, 1Gbps Ethernet

Okay so it’s not the display link version. You should only use this with the back ports.

Next thing I would say you should do is if you plugged it in pre-boot, try to hot plug instead.

Do you see it listed in device manager?

One thing you can check for is a firmware update for the dock. There could be some compatibility issues fixed by such an update.

1 Like

It appears that the Amazon listing contains a confusing mess of misused terms.

I’m pretty sure that the version that OP has is purely DisplayLink and they are using the term “Thunderbolt” in the name to say that it is compatible with devices with Thunderbolt ports (even though it just uses those ports as USB 3 ports rather than Thunderbolt).

The other version is described as a “hybird scheme of Thunderbolt 4 and Displaylink”, which as far as I can tell means that it uses DisplayLink for driving the DisplayPort and HDMI ports but offers three downstream Thunderbolt ports for connecting other Thunderbolt peripherals. IDK why they wouldn’t just go fully Thunderbolt (using both just seems like the worst of both worlds IMO).

@Reese_Borel have you installed the DisplayLink drivers?

You have a “WLAM2C-UG69PD2”…here:
https://www.wavlink.com/en_us/product/WL-UG69PD2_WL-UG69PD2_Pro.html

Amazon listing should never be used as specification reference.

#TBLeftTheChat

That looks purely displaylink so probably a driver issue.

[RESOLVED]

Part of the issue is that I plugged my work Dell into the dock. Due to the Dell requiring so much power, it is my belief that it fried the dock.

On the DL vs TB… it probably is DL but the throughputs of the interfaces is TB which, as mentioned, I believe the descriptions on Amazon are so confusing.

In any case… Mark this as resolved. I’m getting a Dell docking station that can handle both the Dell as well as my Framework.

I’ll attempt the upgrade at a later time and due to the issues probably go with the intel. Being from corp-america, I’m an Intel fanboy anyway… I am happy with what I have, I was shooting for more battery life. I already upgraded to the 61ma battery but was hoping for more than 2hrs of battery life on Windows.

Does anyone know if the Gen12 or Gen13 gets better battery life or should I wait for the Ultra1?

Thx for any advice ahead of time…

1 Like

The linked dock does have nowhere near tb throughput, not to mention tb itself, the description is just confusing period.

Thunderbolt+displaylink docks exist but this is not one of those.

Might want to get one without displaylink while you are at it, that stuff is really only a last resort even if it doesn’t suck anywhere near as much as it used to.

1 Like