USB-C/Thunderbolt Dock Megathread

The USB C Mini Docking Station (UD-CAM) by Plugable works OTB on Windows 10/11 and Linux. It is advertised as compatible with macOS but I have not tested that nor have I tested the ethernet port. There could be some other function I haven’t used/tested but I’ve been using it daily for several weeks on both Windows and POP_OS and have had no problems. The downside is that it only supports one monitor (HDMI 1.4 4k @ 30 Hz) but it comes with a VESA mount so it can be hung on the back of a monitor. It provides up to 85w of power, has ethernet, 3.5mm audio in/out, 4 x USB C 3.0 ports and a USB C/Thunderbolt 3 connection to the host. It also has an on/off switch for the charging cable which I often use at night. I got mine on Amazon but its available elsewhere.

Due to the Dell TB16 being crappy (always was… with everything) I ditched it for a Dell WD19S. Everything works great from what I can tell.

Out of curiosity, why did you double down on Dell :slight_smile:

I have lightly tested this Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 dock in Windows and Ubuntu (21.10), and what I’ve tested works fine. Tested two simultaneous 1080p 30Hz HDMI monitors plus the built-in laptop display; works fine in Linux and Windows. Tested the USB 2.0 ports (by having my keyboard and mouse plugged into them). The laptop claimed to be charging while plugged in, but I didn’t use it long enough to see how rapidly. Have not tested audio or USB-3 ports. Pleased enough to have gotten a second one for work. Will report back when I’ve tested more and used it for a while.

I was not able to get the two HDMI outputs on that dock working along with a third monitor with this USB-C-to-HDMI cable, which works fine on its own. But I didn’t actually have a third HDMI monitor handy to test it with, so I was testing that with HDMI-to-DP and HDMI-to-VGA adapters (which latter I wouldn’t particularly expect to work). I know I can’t use three external monitors plus the internal display, but I was hoping I’d be able to see all of them in the OS and disable the internal display, but no, the third external monitor just didn’t show up. (I don’t remember whether I checked logs or not.) But maybe I need to disable the internal display at a deeper level before I can drive three external monitors (which wouldn’t be practical for a laptop I’m carrying around with me).

EDIT: I’ll add this to the table once I’ve tested it a little more.

1 Like

Edit: I’ve noticed a few flaws: The wireless mouse occasionally stops responding for a very short time - not a major issue when working on documents, but I could see it as a major issue for anyone wanting to do graphical work or gaming. I got a second monitor and have since had one time when only one of the two monitors turned on, forcing me to unplug and replug one of the HDMI cables.

(I was unable to edit the table because there are too many @-mentions in it).

I have a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD. The DisplayPort, Ethernet, USB and Audio all work. Power Delivery is the problem. It only trickle-charges, it does not deliver the full 85W. I need to plug in a separate power supply into the laptop to use this dock.

1 Like

@Ruurd_Offringa try getting a small/short usb2 extension cable. USB 3 causes interference for wireless adapters. I see it does have two USB 2 ports on the back but it’s worth a shot.

Hi @Samuel_Chaboya

I’ve tried that and it hasn’t fixed the problem. I ended up contacting support and they are sending me a replacement. I’ll update when I get it and test it.

1 Like

Another report for the Cable Matters USB C docking station (model number 201053).

Host information:

• Kernel: 5.15.24

I’ve tested most functionality with success. If you’re considering one of these, I might suggest taking a gamble on one of the newer model numbers since the bandwidth limitations are a little annoying.

• Displays: I can drive one monitor at a resolution of 1920x1080 at a rate of 50.00 and another 3840x2160 display at a rate of 23.98. I have to toggle the 4K setting on to get sufficient display bandwidth (which throttles USB and ethernet speed)
  • While running dual displays, pretty much everything seems to work. Wired ethernet, all the USB-A ports, power supply. I have yet to try the mic in/mini-jack out.

For those who might try out the hardware, I did have to enable vsync in picom/i3, otherwise I had bad screen tearing.

@privilegejunkie compatibility with the WD19S (which I am issued through work) is a big deal for me. I have seen around the forums that there are issues using dual monitors through the WD19S… do you have any experience with that?

Hi all. I’ve been looking for a suitable dock for the framework laptop this week. This thread is immensely useful to get an idea of what’s available and what works. However, there still seems to be a lot of things unclear (to me) about how things work under the hood, and what combinations of hardware and software can be expected to work or not, especially in the display department. This is probably because there are a lot of older and newer standards and different ways things can work, and dock manufacturers do not seem to verbose about this. I wondered about adding a section in the wikipost about the technologies involved to provide some guidance to others, but thought to first figure out this stuff myself. That turned out to be a lot of stuff, so I ended up creating a new topic to discuss such details (to not sidetrack the discussion about specific docks here). It might lead to a less-detailed summary for the wikipost here at some point though.

In any case, here’s the topic, comments welcome: Details about USB, Thunderbolt and dock operation

4 Likes

@Ddoc I only use one external monitor, but I will try with two here in a day or so and report back.

I can confirm the Dell WD19TB dock works on my Batch 6 i5 unit, but for some reason I am unable to POST with the dock connected. I need to wait until at least GRUB is visible before I can connect, after which everything will work as intended. I have not tried the latest BIOS yet, nor have I confirmed if it’s a BIOS setting that I need to disable. I’ll see if I can investigate further. A handful of other issues are OS (Ubuntu 21.04) level ones, including an unknown program crash when I reconnect the dock and the occasional shuffling of active audio devices at random moments.

In the meantime, I have the dock almost fully loaded with an Ethernet connection, two displays (one HDMI, one DisplayPort), a USB hub for my 6+ total peripherals including an external hard drive, a headset, and a Lightning cable to connect my iPhone.

I just got a thunderbolt 3 dock from pluggable (Plugable Thunderbolt™ 3 and USB-C Dual Display Dock with 96W Host Char – Plugable Technologies) and it works great! I have it connected via HDMI to two 4K monitors and I’m able to run them both (although at 30Hz rather than the native 60, haven’t tried displayport yet)

I also have a number of USB devices and an ethernet cable pluged in and everything seems to be working great!

@asonix I have the very similar Cable Matters dock. I haven’t been able to get dual displays up on it yet under Windows. Thanks for letting us know that this one works - I’ll try and order this for myself when it goes on sale next.

I just got my Delock 87772 Dockingstation and tested it using Arch Linux. Everything works out of the box (Charging [separate USB-PD charger required], Ethernet, Audio, card reader, USB, HDMI).

The only problem I noticed is that I’m unable to get 4k@60 using HDMI for some reason, 4k@30 is maximum for my beamer. When I use a Framework USB to HDMI adapter 4k@60 is no problem. I contacted the vendor and will update the wiki post when I got more information.

1 Like

This smaller USB-C travel dock by Old World Computing is something I wanted to share my experience

The USB-c docking station supports two USB 3.2 Type-A ports, HDMI 2.0 port, SD card reader, Gigabit Ethernet port, and USB-C power pass through.

I was able to confirm it works with the Framework hardware (batch 6) using Debian/Ubuntu/Pop!_OS.

Hope to see this dock is added to the list.

1 Like

ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 tested with 135W power supply on Pop!_OS.

No problems with…

• Second screen
  • Audio Interface
  • USB ports
  • Ethernet cable
  • Display Port
  • HDMI

I encountered a weird issue:

The laptop WILL NOT be powered if the USB-C expansion card is mounted on the right side. If mounted on the right side everything works fine except of the power supply. I do not know why that makes a difference but at least at works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

UNSUPPORTED

P/N: CADUAL4KDOCK
manufacturer: i-tec
name: USB 3.0 / USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 Dual Display Docking Station
link: CADUAL4KDOCK | i-tec USB 3.0 / USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 Dual Display Docking Station | i-tec

Issues: power delivery does not work at all. USB hub does work, rest untested

edit: added to table

Also I’ll be using a macbook for work. Can somebody recommend a dock that works for both framework & mac?