Viability of an ML 1220 rechargable battery for RTC | CMOS (11th gen)

Yeah I even downclocked my other half’s PC with a FX8350 in it to 2GHz. She hasnt noticed…

1 Like

Update on this:

Leaving the laptop charging for 24+ hours at 100% main battery charge didn’t help, so I tried opening it up and inspecting the RTC battery immediately after the laptop failed to power on in this way. I was measuring an OCV of a little over 2.5 V, which indicated that it was probably not completely discharged as per @amoun’s post here:

On closer inspection there seemed to be some corrosion on both the cell itself and the negative terminals of the holder on the mainboard like in the picture below (you can’t actually see it super well because in my infinite wisdom I took a picture of brown corrosion against a brown wooden table, but it’s there on the bottom right side):

So I just wiped off both the cell and the holder with some isopropyl alcohol and reinstalled the cell. That was two days ago, and I haven’t had the problem occur since even after longer periods of shutdown than before. It looks like in my case at least the issue was caused by a poor connection to the battery, so if someone else has symptoms this extreme it might be worth trying to just clean and reinsert the RTC battery to see if that fixes it.

5 Likes

I just had the same ‘rust’ problem on another device which created a low voltage :slight_smile:

Well, I didn’t spend quite that much on the laptop since I don’t use it as my daily driver (evidently) but I did need a portable device for occasional use. Though the value of that is diminished due to this particular issue…

Great that it seems like the issue should be mostly resolved on the 12th gen. boards. Unfortunately I don’t see how any solution could be implemented for the 11th gen. boards unless the BIOS can somehow be patched to route power from the main battery to the CMOS battery - though I’m not sure how that could be effected while the system is powered off or in standby and of course is impossible if the board circuitry isn’t in place. It seems to me to be a solely hardware issue.

I think there may be a hardware solution which I have been meaning to present to Framework :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent! Look forward to hearing more about it when the time is right and hope that Framework take it seriously if it looks feasible.

1 Like

Adding my own experience / solution, I was unable to get the RTC battery to recharge even after following the reset tutorial. I decided I would try getting a replacement RTC battery before contacting framework and found that it worked. They are cheap on amazon, hoping this might help someone else out.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, you got your replacement from Amazon, right? Sold by Amazon or 3rd party via Amazon?

Yes, you can find the particular one here. I’m not sure if it effects my warranty. Either way it seems like some of the batteries may be defective or the board is might be killing them. I’m curious if framework would be willing to provide replacements.

When I got the amazon battery it already had a voltage of 2.8V before charging, (my old battery was around 2.5V). I confirmed it turned on my framework without a power adapter, let it charge for about 6 hours, then measured it around 2.95V.

1 Like

Is this an 11Gen model ?

2.5V requires 24Hours of being plugged in to charge and then you you have to do aboard reset as explained elsewhere.

2.95V is clearly OK but best to charge more, leave plugged in for another ten hours.

Yes, this is an 11th gen model.

I had let the old battery charge for several days and about 24 hours after doing the board reset. The whole time the voltage stayed around 2.5V, although it seems like it possibly dropped 0.05V during the period.

I just measured the new battery again at 3.0V after letting it charge overnight.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I’m now experiencing this problem on my Framework 11th gen. Resetting the mainboard + 24hr charge temporarily fixed it, but after a day it requires external power to boot again. I don’t know where to even get these batteries in Canada, short of waiting for China to send one. Super disappointing this is even a thing.

Why China?

Why not China D:
Chances are it’s cheaper.
Chances are whatever you’re buying from another place is sourced from China anyways and you’re just paying money to some reseller.

You have a choice buy now, buy tomorrow. Buy Chinese, Japanese or Korean.

Like the Framework, it’s a DIY project to learn and learnig is always the most expensive thing in life. taking the easy and cheap way is not for me.

Money is the first thing to go and the last to worry about, especially after spending $1000 on a fancy computer.

2 Likes

Status update in case anyone cares or a single data point is helpful – after leaving my laptop sit unused for another 12 weeks it wouldn’t turn on. No lights on the power button. I plugged it in and let it charge for about 45 minutes and tried to turn it on and it wouldn’t - the light was on but the laptop was unresponsive. I closed the lid and came back to it after a few minutes and it when I opened the lid it was on and at the Windows login screen. I’m not sure if it was booting up before and I just didn’t stick around or not?

In any case with random jiggling I was able to get it to start without opening the case to do a battery disconnect, etc. Unfortunately I wasn’t there to try starting it right away so I’m not sure if the main battery was drained or not. I’m pretty sure that it was because it was only @ 20% when it started up.

1 Like

Yes thanks for the update. That’s quite amazing given how soem people have problems ~ 12 weeks ~ I think Framework will be impressed with that too.

Thanks again ~ very interesting :person_cartwheeling:

Why be impressed? It’s unused for 12 weeks, and wouldn’t turn on.

There’s no indication from the post to say when it first won’t turn on. It could be 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks…etc. No one knows. What we know is that it’s been unused for 12 weeks, and on that 12 weeks mark, it won’t turn on.

It’s as if you’re thinking: I didn’t touch that fried egg for 5 years…and it tastes bad now. You’re thinking the egg tasted good up until 4 years and 364 days?

2 Likes

As it didn’t require a reset just a bit of patience.
It’s comparative given the people that have had to remove the ML1220 etc.

It should just boot up like 99.999% of other laptops would. :rofl:

2 Likes