We want a battery case!

Most integrated bd powerbank chips are a single inductor design, that makes them very space and cost effective but also causes them to only be able to do one type of dc -dc conversion at a time. Ususally either charge itself, charge one device at whatever voltage it wants or charge multiple at 5v.

So for that feature set you would probably have to put it together from less integrated components, which is totally possible but is a lot more expensive, bulky and requires a lot more work.

They probably cost a lot less than that.

2 Likes

Hey for anyone else still really interested in the Powerbank Concept?

• I really want a battery Framework Powerbank! (and would buy one)
  • I would liike to have the option for an Framework Powerbank.
  • I don´t care at all about sutch a thing.

0 voters

What I would prefer instead is probably a 18650 based power bank, that would allow you to easily swap cells when they where down.

However, if this was something that we could use to reuse older batteries, I would be interested for sure. However, this is going to require a BMC made especially for it, as this resides on the mainboard now.

2 Likes

That already exists in a million shapes, sizes and capabilities.

Really? My many attempts at finding have not found them. Would you be able to link a view?

1 Like

There are several levels, there are countless variations within those:

• Hot-swappable cells that won’t explode if you put in a battery the wrong way around like this, I have not seen any that do pd though so they are not that useful here.
  • Cold swappable cells that need to be matched and will absolutely blow up if you put in the battery the wrong way around like this as a quick example, those come in all shapes and sizes and from one 5v 500ma to multiple 100w PD outputs.
  • Boards where you have to wire your battery pack to yourself, with and without integrated bms like this.

The hard part isn’t finding them but separating the good ones from the bad ones.

2 Likes

Exactly what I have been looking for. Just was kind of hoping there was a company in Germany or the US (for example) that was making a bit more polished of a product.

That’s a bit of a dilemma, consumers aren’t supposed to have naked cells in the first place so it is understandable no one makes a consumer product like that.

Also the hot-swappable ones I know of are all 5v only so no fast charging or charging a laptop at anywhere near useful speeds with those.

1 Like

Yea, this is the reason why it would be nice if Framework made one. But I would very much understand if they didn’t. You can get people filling it with dangerous counterfeit 18650s like “UltraFire 5000mAh” cells that they found somewhere and then try to blame FW when it goes badly.

1 Like

Why stop there, if we are going to lie why not go for the 99999mah ultraFire, I am really impressed that actually works but people do buy them.

For reference the highest capacity 18650s were 3600mah (The legendary/mystical Panasonic NCR18650G) and are pretty much unicorns. 3500mah cells are relatively available from all manufacturers.

Absolutely. The batteries are very slim so stacking two of them in 1 enclosure makes sense.

@moderators i think this should be split into its own topic, super interesting!

Are those still 5V so no fast charging? Can’t they be hooked up in parallel (or serial? always forget with batteries) to boost the voltage?

18650s are raw batteries so around 2.5-4.2V ish. No fast charging or charging at all for that matter and definitely not 5V XD.

They can and are put in series to increase voltage for a lot of applications.

55Wh x2 = 110 Wh, which is too large to take on an airplane IIRC.

3 Likes

That’s why modularity is so great! Just hand one battery to a friend, or one in your lugage and one in your backpack. :slight_smile:

Can’t you have as many as you want as long as they are under 100wh? Afaik the limitation for sub 100wh batteries is “reasonable quantity”. Apparently you can also have up to 2 160wh batteries with most airlines but looks like noone does that.

1 Like

I personally feel that 1kWh worth of extra batteries is reasonable quantity. :exploding_head:

1 Like

Lithium batteries are prohibited in checked luggage in the US. Other parts of the world may have different restrictions.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

3 Likes

The one in your luggage (I presume you mean checked luggage) will go missing, and you will find a note when you get to your destination that it has been removed by airport security. Had exactly this happen with a spare camera battery I managed to leave in my checked baggage.

3 Likes